Air trapped under skimmer

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a red sea 300 DC skimmer that I elevated with egg crate. Everyday I have to tilt the skimmer to release a few very large air bubbles. Is there any way to avoid this? Anyone else have this issue? TIA

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 300 DC skimmer that I elevated with egg crate. Everyday I have to tilt the skimmer to release a few very large air bubbles. Is there any way to avoid this? Anyone else have this issue? TIA
Why are you using egg crate for?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't know if there were air bubbles and I doubt they impact performance so I wouldn't bother messing with it anyway.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer sits way too deep in the sump.
Use a brick or bend some plexiglass with a heat gun and a board. If your not handy there are people on esty that will do it for you. Hell I am going to bend some plexiglass. Pay for the shipping and I will give it to you. What size do you need?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the rare occasion I move my skimmer - maybe every few months - there are alway gas bubble under the base of it.

Why do they concern you?

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use a brick or bend some plexiglass with a heat gun and a board. If your not handy there are people on esty that will do it for you. Hell I am going to bend some plexiglass. Pay for the shipping and I will give it to you. What size do you need?
I do appreciate it, but I'll be able to tackle that. It'll be fun too. Thanks

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for Skimmers with a bottom outlet.... Some of the microbubbles make it down and get trapped under the base eventually coalescing into large bubbles... It happens on my bubble Magus elite all the time.. you can ignore them if you want.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the rare occasion I move my skimmer - maybe every few months - there are alway gas bubble under the base of it.

Why do they concern you?
The water that leaves the skimmer exists through the bottom. When there's air trapped underneath the foam in the skimmer is real low until I release the air.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water that leaves the skimmer exists through the bottom. When there's air trapped underneath the foam in the skimmer is real low until I release the air.
I haven't had that problem... That seems strange... It's happening outside the body and should have no affect on what's happening inside the body...

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't had that problem... That seems strange... It's happening outside the body and should have no affect on what's happening inside the body...
That makes sense. I'm having a heck of a time tuning this thing. Very I consistent. I'll pull out out and disassemble it to make sure I have all the pieces correct. Thank you

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how that would happen. The water height inside the skimmer is related to the column of rising bubbles from the skimmer pump and the air intake. Anything under the base of the skimmer should not have any effect unless it's actually causing the skimmer to float higher in the sump.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back