Airstones, Good or Terrible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nasabeau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Thread hijack: I kinda want to add an airstone towards the top of the tank along with very intense flow (2x MP60 and an IceCap Gyre) to create foam on the surface. Is that just a terrible idea all around?
 
Thread hijack: I kinda want to add an airstone towards the top of the tank along with very intense flow (2x MP60 and an IceCap Gyre) to create foam on the surface. Is that just a terrible idea all around?
Why would you want to do that?
 
Why would you want to do that?

I can't speak for the poster but will say this is a rather interesting thread. As an active scuba diver I can say though that when underwater and rolling over on my back looking up I see the surface agitation, waves, chaos, and there are ripple effects along the reef crest.

Of course real world, ocean, and mother nature are not as common in our systems but it does raise an interesting question. I wish I could find it but on another forum there is a good thread on why this is good and bad.
 
based on the rest of this thread, I can't imagine there would be a PROBLEM with you trying that. it would seem the consensus is Air stones are fine, I don't know why that sticking on the surface would change that.
 
So what if you only have a hob filter and nothing else. Still don't need the air stone?. 10 gal just starting
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new