OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t posted progress for a while. Stuff getting in the way, but I’ve made progress.
Let’s see..
After 3 weeks observation everyone was fat and healthy and eating well, so they all graduated to the big tank. As well as the anemone, the tank inhabitants are
Frenchie the clown
Dora (the explorer) - splendid dottyback
Violet, -orchid dottyback
JD (John Deere) - lawnmower blenny
Mr shrimp - cleaner shrimp
There is room for many more, but purchases are on hold until things get back to normal.
The Noopsyche K7s arrived. All set up and simply awesome lights. Took a while to work out the controller, but got it worked out.

Ordered a Tunze ATO from BRS when they had a 10% off sale last week.

Been working on the controller/ATO cabinet. It is now stained and mostly finished with polyurethane finish. Just need to finish the door. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. Pics tomorrow if I have time to get it finished.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller/ATO cabinet is finished and installed.

8A45A456-E707-459C-B583-349A9E3A07E9.jpeg AC681FDF-4881-4E47-AA61-BA5D47E001E4.jpeg 34652EC9-3ADA-4D6B-BA34-12357096661E.jpeg

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how those lights work out for you, I'm shopping a 50 gallon SCA at the moment.
You will love the tank. Although I believe they are closed right now because of the lockdown. I really like the lights so far, but then I’m new in the game so I can’t compare them to others.

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe the pricing they have, I was determined that I was going to get a waterbox 50 gallon, but after I came across the SCA tanks I changed my tune real quick. They have the 50 gallon PNP for $765, and it comes with a skimmer and return pump, same setup for waterbox 50 gallon is $1200. Almost twice the price.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe the pricing they have, I was determined that I was going to get a waterbox 50 gallon, but after I came across the SCA tanks I changed my tune real quick. They have the 50 gallon PNP for $765, and it comes with a skimmer and return pump, same setup for waterbox 50 gallon is $1200. Almost twice the price.
Yep. The tanks are made in China, so that’s why the price difference. But the quality is excellent.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I would be considering the 66g for $999. That extra 6” width is worth it. Still a lot less than the waterbox. And it’s delivered free, with no tax unless you are in CA

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along on your thread to see the progress. One question I already have is how do you like the Herbie drain? I was thinking about going Bean animal but if the Heribe is dead silent then I won't bother.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along on your thread to see the progress. One question I already have is how do you like the Herbie drain? I was thinking about going Bean animal but if the Heribe is dead silent then I won't bother.
There is a very slight trickle sound you can hear up close if there is no other noise, but totally not noticeable, unless maybe you have it in your bedroom. My wife is far less noise tolerant than I am and she has not complained at all.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a very slight trickle sound you can hear up close if there is no other noise, but totally not noticeable, unless maybe you have it in your bedroom. My wife is far less noise tolerant than I am and she has not complained at all.
We have a 2 gallon goldfish tank in the same room and the air stone bubbles make more noise.

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been neglecting my build thread for a few weeks.

So what’s been going on?

Major bacterial bloom started early April. Normal new tank ugly stuff going on I guess. I was trying to wait it out, but after 10 days or so getting slowly worse I ordered a 24w green machine UV. Within 24 hours of installing it, the water was crystal clear.:)

I got my first corals as a discounted 3 pack deal from LA with some fish. A nice devils hand leather, some small rhodactis and a small green mushroom.

2789530E-83C2-43AE-84B4-7BCE6F2CCA72.jpeg 0D0C3A36-7614-4152-AA5F-4B000037802D.jpeg 0A838B91-0D4F-4FCE-8684-D5108C96F5F0.jpeg

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Royal gramma and yellow tailed blue damsel are eating well in the observation tank. Another week without signs of infection and they graduate to the DT.

Coral shipment is on its way from AquaSD tonight. So excited for these. Mostly softies, but one SPS (a purple monti digitata) snuck in there :rolleyes: when I wasn’t looking.
1587614911967.png

Not sure if the tank is ready for it yet. We will see.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? <3 I’ve also been looking at these SCA systems. I love that they come with a return pump and sump. PNP is so much simpler than custom builds. I’m so indecisive and I want everything to be perfect so my plan for upgrading my biocube is driving me nuts!

OP
OP
Alan_J_MN

Alan_J_MN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? <3 I’ve also been looking at these SCA systems. I love that they come with a return pump and sump. PNP is so much simpler than custom builds. I’m so indecisive and I want everything to be perfect so my plan for upgrading my biocube is driving me nuts!
I love the tank, and am (so far) happy with the sump. While they call it PNP, I would say that's a stretch. The internal plumbing for the overflow and loc-lines are included, but you still need to complete the plumbing to the sump. I think it is supposed to come with vinyl tubing, but mine didn't, which was fine because I wanted to hard plumb it anyway. You need to design the plumbing, decide on unions and gate valves etc. I did not use the included return pump. I wanted something controllable so went with a DC pump. The SCA pump is my backup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back