Ajustable wave maker for 13.5?

clownaround4giggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good ajustable wave maker for my fluval evo 13.5? Currently have an azure damsel in it but more livestock (clowns, gobies, sexy shrimp, etc) and coral I’m gonna add in soon. I wanna make sure I can simulate the inconsistent flows of the ocean. Thanks!

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that Jebao in my Evo 13.5, but I found it quickly got stuff like dog hair and algae wrapped around the blade shaft and would go into a stopped error state. I replaced it with an AI Nero 3 and it worked great.

Upvote 0

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao ECP-50M or scp-50 if you don't care for the smart features. I much prefer gyres. As for the elw, the flow pattern isn't as wide as a Nero so nero gets the upper hand there.

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of the ECP-50m gyres barely used in boxes. I switched back to MLW/ELW pumps because the little single-sided gyres were ridiculously loud. I've been running MLW/ELW pumps on various tanks (and in my saltwater mixing bin) for years and have only ever gotten a stopped error once after sitting in my mixing bin (dry) for a week.

As for the Nero 3, the MINIMUM flowrate (1% in the app, but really 30% of the pump's capacity) is 600gph. I suggested the ELW-3m specifically because the MAXIMUM flow is 660gph, and it adjusts down from there.

But, as with everything else in this hobby, YMMV and all that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clownaround4giggles

clownaround4giggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of the ECP-50m gyres barely used in boxes. I switched back to MLW/ELW pumps because the little single-sided gyres were ridiculously loud. I've been running MLW/ELW pumps on various tanks (and in my saltwater mixing bin) for years and have only ever gotten a stopped error once after sitting in my mixing bin (dry) for a week.

As for the Nero 3, the MINIMUM flowrate (1% in the app, but really 30% of the pump's capacity) is 600gph. I suggested the ELW-3m specifically because the MAXIMUM flow is 660gph, and it adjusts down from there.

But, as with everything else in this hobby, YMMV and all that.
What about the hygger?

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hygger? Hygger has a gyre now as well, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as the Jebao 50m

The Hygger Mini (traditional round one) is 1600gph max, but the controller only allows for a minimum setting of 40% (600gph). So, other than being small (the ELW-3m is just as small), it really isn't any better than a Nero 3 for dialing down the flow. Frankly, the controller sucks too.

I haven't played with the Hygger gyre yet for two reasons, same crappy controller as the powerhead, and same single sided design as the small Jebao gyres.

I have nothing but nano tanks, and I've played with almost every single "nano" powerhead and gyre there is. I keep coming back to the 3 (660gph) and 5 (790gph) sized Jebaos.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clownaround4giggles

clownaround4giggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hygger? Hygger has a gyre now as well, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as the Jebao 50m
IMG_7791.jpeg

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back