aKlevans' 40 Gallon Breeder Sumpless Reef Tank - Build Thread

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Skimmer. If you were to do it again would you have went 40B or something else? I love my breeder but my wife wants me to get a cube to save some space .

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Skimmer. If you were to do it again would you have went 40B or something else? I love my breeder but my wife wants me to get a cube to save some space .
I have no regrets about the 40 breeder, however a cube will be cheaper in the long run, especially if you are planning LEDs. A 40 breeder required two led fixtures, while a cube would only need one.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7-28-18.jpg

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea, I like it! Do you mind having all the filtration not being Hidden? Also is it very loud or no? Nice job!

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how you hid your equipment at the top. How did you make that ?
Just cut some cardboard to size and covered it in black construction paper. The hard part was hiding the seems between the sheets of construction paper, but if you line each sheet up very close to each other it is not very noticeable.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea, I like it! Do you mind having all the filtration not being Hidden? Also is it very loud or no? Nice job!
Thanks! I don't really mind the equipment poking out. Obviously it would look nicer if it wasn't there, but I don't really mind. It is fairly quiet as long as I'm keeping up to date with topping it off.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I haven't done an update in a while.

I had a major tank crash which was determined to be caused by cleaning supplies somehow getting into the tank. I left for one weekend and I forgot to say to not use cleaning supplies near the tank, which was slightly infuriating:mad:. I lost all of my LPS and SPS and the majority of my soft corals. Only about 4 colonies of zoanthids survived. I also lost my diamond goby:(

On a better note, I've got the tank under control again and the surviving corals are doing fine. I'm working on bringing the tank back to where it was before.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I haven't done an update in a while.

I had a major tank crash which was determined to be caused by cleaning supplies somehow getting into the tank. I left for one weekend and I forgot to say to not use cleaning supplies near the tank, which was slightly infuriating:mad:. I lost all of my LPS and SPS and the majority of my soft corals. Only about 4 colonies of zoanthids survived. I also lost my diamond goby:(

On a better note, I've got the tank under control again and the surviving corals are doing fine. I'm working on bringing the tank back to where it was before.

Ugh, that is no fun. I recently explained to my wife about caution with anything cleaning or aerosol related in the tank room. Something a layperson would never think of.

anew2thereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a quiet some time away from the hobby, I decided to bring back my sumpless 40 breeder. I’m really gonna sit back and enjoy this build and will be taking my time. Making it more focused on the corals. I will be posting pics of the tank and of it’s progress and stages. @aKlevans sorry what you went threw on your beautiful setup. Also to include my build is not to take away from aklevans build of the fantastic job he’s done. He’s inspired me to setup my reef tank, in what I tried and at my own fault without knowledge and patience I failed..

7b0d22418f3f163c08fa666d65529060.jpg
cc0b75e8d13ce9185be176bafa567fa6.jpg
0be0b39e8c597f1f6f26bbfb9fd3cdeb.jpg
28eb653d16331ca96398bfbcff9eebec.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back