Alage on frag plugs.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. Newb to SPS here with a question. I have some frags still on plugs on the rack that are getting algae on the plugs. Some looks like ulva and hair alage as well. Tank is going through a phaze after changing rock and I'm getting that under control gradually. My question is about the algae on the plugs. Frags are a combo of acro, monti, and stylo. The alage is growing up to where the corals are encrusting. I have been pulling the ulva of with tweezers and using a soft bristle toothbrush to gently scrub the hair alage off. I'm going to continue to pluck off the ulva (if that's what it even is) but am wondering if I should continue to scrub the other alage off the plugs or will the coral continue to encrust over the alage? I've been able to find info on using peroxide but that is for zoas but haven't found much info on sps with alage on plugs

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. Newb to SPS here with a question. I have some frags still on plugs on the rack that are getting algae on the plugs. Some looks like ulva and hair alage as well. Tank is going through a phaze after changing rock and I'm getting that under control gradually. My question is about the algae on the plugs. Frags are a combo of acro, monti, and stylo. The alage is growing up to where the corals are encrusting. I have been pulling the ulva of with tweezers and using a soft bristle toothbrush to gently scrub the hair alage off. I'm going to continue to pluck off the ulva (if that's what it even is) but am wondering if I should continue to scrub the other alage off the plugs or will the coral continue to encrust over the alage? I've been able to find info on using peroxide but that is for zoas but haven't found much info on sps with alage on plugs
The coral will not be able to grow over the algae. Keep doing what you are doing and do your best to control nutrients contributing to the algae growth!

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral will not be able to grow over the algae. Keep doing what you are doing and do your best to control nutrients contributing to the algae growth!
I'm working on that now. I had high PO4 and undetectable no3. Have now up to 4ppm from 0 and PO4 to 0.07 down from. 43
Why not just clip them off the frag plugs?
I am going to remove all of the rock and add a new rockscape I recently finished cementing together. It is curing now so I need to leave the frags on the plugs untill it's ready.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back