Alakalinity Spikes

  • Thread starter Thread starter jordanrb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
My calcium has a slight drop after a few weeks. Around 10ppm so I dose a little calcium to bring it back up. If I raise my AFR dose my alkalinity raises
Not sure 10pm calcium drop is even worth worrying about.
shrug-icegif-13.gif
 
using a calcium ion vs organic calcium would help keep calcium more stable unless your would prefer organic calcium due to corals

A few comments:

1. There's no reason to think the polygluconate stays on the calcium once added.
2. There's no reason to think a coral would more readily take up organically bound calcium.
3. The problem with organically bound calcium is not lack of calcium stability (it may, in fact, be more stable if chelated strongly enough to retain it in the aquarium), but that if the organic is metabolized, it will add alkalinity.
 
My calcium has a slight drop after a few weeks. Around 10ppm so I dose a little calcium to bring it back up. If I raise my AFR dose my alkalinity raises

I expect that is test error if alkalinity is being maintained.

AFR actually adds slightly more calcium than alkalinity, and so will maintain calcium if you are adding enough to maintain alkalinity (and are not adding alk some other way).
 
I expect that is test error if alkalinity is being maintained.

AFR actually adds slightly more calcium than alkalinity, and so will maintain calcium if you are adding enough to maintain alkalinity (and are not adding alk some other way).
Ok that is good to know. I am using salifert so being off 10ppm isnt hard to do.
 
I expect that is test error if alkalinity is being maintained.

AFR actually adds slightly more calcium than alkalinity, and so will maintain calcium if you are adding enough to maintain alkalinity (and are not adding alk some other way).
I just had the same issue again. I made sure not to dose anything. Did my daily dose of AFR. Kept within 0.2dkh for the two weeks until my water change was due. All of a sudden I went from 8.2dkh to 8.9dkh within 48hrs. I test alkalinity every other day.

Is there something else I could be missing here?
 
I just had the same issue again. I made sure not to dose anything. Did my daily dose of AFR. Kept within 0.2dkh for the two weeks until my water change was due. All of a sudden I went from 8.2dkh to 8.9dkh within 48hrs. I test alkalinity every other day.

Is there something else I could be missing here?

That new salt water had what alk?

Remote possibility is that bacteria processing the formate in AFR might be limited in growth by a trace element that the water change adds, they grow faster, and convert the accumulated formate into measurable alk.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new