AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of updates.

First I have officially started building the tank bottom starting with the bottom of the beam that will be holding the glass in place. Originally I was going to have this lower part of the beam hanging off the edge of the stand without supports but then I started to think that at 6" wide it would be an ideal step. Without support underneath the beam while very thick would not be supported if I stepped on it which can stress the seal on the glass or worst case tear the seal causing a massing spill. Therefore I decided the bottom of the beam will be supported to the floor with 2x6 supports matching the stand. I have two sections completed and started a third one. I think the big challenge will be the beam support next to the wall. I am thinking I might do some water proofing on part of the beam support before it is installed next to the wall as a just in case for splashes as it will not be possible to reach that area behind the tank without taking a swim. I also completed gluing in the last section of 1x4 on the canopy to allow for the installation of waterproof panels.

The system that is running seems to still be on track for recovery. Many of the corals are getting color back and looks wise my gorgonian is almost back to looking normal again as it was completely closed when I got back from vacation in early November. My echinata is looking great still and the space invader chalice that had die off in the middle of the frag seems to be on the road to recovery. Its going to take time but everything will get back to normal. I think one more 500 gallon water change is in my near future along with another ICP test. I am also seeing the positive sign of algae growth in the refugium and in the frag tank a red fuzzy algae is taking over. It looks like cyano but its not. The tang, foxface, and some new turbo snails are loving it. I am also seeing more signs or coralline algae growth.

20211226_141644.jpg
20211226_211806.jpg
20211226_211815.jpg
20211226_143017.jpg
20211226_160130.jpg
20211226_160142.jpg
20211226_160208.jpg

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amazing!

This may be a silly question that was answered pages ago, but at 32" of water height, how do you plan to get things into the back of the tank (moving rocks, corals, etc.)

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing!

This may be a silly question that was answered pages ago, but at 32" of water height, how do you plan to get things into the back of the tank (moving rocks, corals, etc.)

@Blue Tang Clan that's not a silly question at all. The 32" tall will be a challenge but I will be honest with the tank being 72" front to back that will be more of a challenge. While I have not planned everything out yet for aquascaping I will likely have lots of open bottom and rock structures that are pre-drilled for custom frag plugs. More than likely I will need to take a swim from time to time to place corals which is why everything I plan to bring in will first go into a frag tank for grow out and placement on new plugs. I am hoping to use some tools as well to help with placement in hard to reach places to minimize the need to take a swim.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could do some scaffolding that can roll along the top. That would help to minimize the number of times you need to go swimming.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could do some scaffolding that can roll along the top. That would help to minimize the number of times you need to go swimming.

I honestly did entertain the idea before but if I ever fell off or the scaffolding broke and I landed on the cross braces I would almost certainly cause a catastrophic failure of the aquarium. By getting in the traditional way I can avoid that risk. I am confident with pre-drilled rocks, long frag plugs, and the right tools I should be able to minimize the frequency of having to get in the aquarium.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am confident with pre-drilled rocks, long frag plugs, and the right tools I should be able to minimize the frequency of having to get in the aquarium.

There are at least 100 of us watching this build that would like to MAXIMIZE our frequency to get into your aquarium! If you drop a frag plug, let me know and I'll grab a snorkel and start the 13 hour drive to Illinois! :)

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of updates.

First I have officially started building the tank bottom starting with the bottom of the beam that will be holding the glass in place. Originally I was going to have this lower part of the beam hanging off the edge of the stand without supports but then I started to think that at 6" wide it would be an ideal step. Without support underneath the beam while very thick would not be supported if I stepped on it which can stress the seal on the glass or worst case tear the seal causing a massing spill. Therefore I decided the bottom of the beam will be supported to the floor with 2x6 supports matching the stand. I have two sections completed and started a third one. I think the big challenge will be the beam support next to the wall. I am thinking I might do some water proofing on part of the beam support before it is installed next to the wall as a just in case for splashes as it will not be possible to reach that area behind the tank without taking a swim. I also completed gluing in the last section of 1x4 on the canopy to allow for the installation of waterproof panels.

The system that is running seems to still be on track for recovery. Many of the corals are getting color back and looks wise my gorgonian is almost back to looking normal again as it was completely closed when I got back from vacation in early November. My echinata is looking great still and the space invader chalice that had die off in the middle of the frag seems to be on the road to recovery. Its going to take time but everything will get back to normal. I think one more 500 gallon water change is in my near future along with another ICP test. I am also seeing the positive sign of algae growth in the refugium and in the frag tank a red fuzzy algae is taking over. It looks like cyano but its not. The tang, foxface, and some new turbo snails are loving it. I am also seeing more signs or coralline algae growth.

20211226_141644.jpg
20211226_211806.jpg
20211226_211815.jpg
20211226_143017.jpg
20211226_160130.jpg
20211226_160142.jpg
20211226_160208.jpg
Wow just wow please keep it going this is amazing I just wish I was there with my tools to help!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year. I can't think of another way to start off than another 500 gallon water change and start a new tank at the same time. The pump out for the water change was easy once again with the platinum blue pump and ultra zero pump to drain the last bit of water out of the tanks. I decided to start up the 100 gallon arrival center tank with some existing tank water for new additions to the system. I did not fill it all the way since I have to add the sump and plumb the drain and return but the sump but it will be done soon

20220104_222804.jpg
20220104_222731.jpg

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your feeding plan for the harlequin shrimp?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your feeding plan for the harlequin shrimp?
At this point I think there are 10K astrea stars in the system so there is no shortage of food supply at this point. They might be reproducing faster than they can consumed.

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I think there are 10K astrea stars in the system so there is no shortage of food supply at this point. They might be reproducing faster than they can consumed.
10k? Yeah, that might take him a few days to eat them all. ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! I'm excited about that mantis!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update @flagg37 . I am still working on the bottom seal beam and bracing. I might finish up by this weekend on the wood working but I need to do some light pond armor work on the pieces that are up against the wall as they will no longer be accessible once installed. Once that's completed I am going to complete the final steps before the plywood cap can be installed on the top of the stand to lock the structure together.

Final tank bottom Prep steps
  1. Use the Japanese hand saw/Sander to final adjust any legs on the stand with high points. I only have to check 378 stand legs so that should not take long.
  2. Vacuum the bottom of the stand on the first 1/3-1/2 of the tank so its nice and clean
  3. Plywood layout so I buy the correct number of 4x8 sheets for each layer going down I am pretty sure it will be 9 sheets of plywood/layer
  4. Final Adjustments to stand and shim any legs that are off due to the unevenness of the floor not allowing full contact when possible
Then I need to rent a truck and get my plywood and the fun begins on tank bottom installation.

20220112_212920.jpg
20220112_212859.jpg

flagg37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what lumber yards are near by but many will deliver. They also typically will have better prices than Home Depot and usually better quality.

I just picked up some 3/4” CDX for $53/sheet.
9EF87E89-48DC-418D-A4C3-A9E962EE3572.jpeg

Last time I bought it from Home Depot it was $80/sheet and was warped and had voids from where the knots were.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back