AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this and for documenting everything so well. Your patience, kindness and detail in answering everybody's questions on here is the reason people like me can have success in this hobby. Learning from people like you. Super cool man. Well done.

Thank you @LDH . I really appreciate your comment. I think this hobby is about sharing processes, methods, success and failure so the knowledge is not lost. If you ever have any questions about my system please don't hesitate to ask.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to get an update video out but there have been several life events taking place that have made it difficult for me to get an update video created. The tanks have been doing well and I have recently added some fish to the 720 gallon tank. The corals I picked up at the Midwest aquatic convention have all been doing great. I was only at the show for about 2 hours but I managed say hello to a bunch of friends along with purchasing a bunch of corals in the short time that I was there. With the cold weather setting in the radiant heating system has started to kick on again and has been working without any issues. I am still working to get my potassium and strontium levels up as they are still testing low but the rest of the water parameters are holding steady. Since the corals all seem to be doing well and are showing good growth I am planning to keep everything as stable as possible. I cleaned my Gyre pumps as they really needed a full tear down and vinegar bath which has made a big difference in performance. I will leave everyone with some eye candy as I have been working on my photography and captured some really nice pictures of my fish.

Water Parameters
Temp 76.8-78F
pH 7.9-8.1
Salinity 1.026
Alk 8.0DKH
Cal 500ppm
Mg 1400ppm
Po4 .04ppm
No3 10ppm
K 380-390ppm
Strontium below the test scale

IMG_4715.JPG
IMG_4716.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4867.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got some time and I put together a video on my DIY protein skimmer. After being in operation for over a year I thought it was a good idea to talk about this skimmers performance, why I went with a DIY skimmer over a commercially built skimmer, and finally if I was going to do it all over again would I build another DIY protein skimmer. Its a short video this time but I think I will be creating a more in depth video on its construction.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always look forward to your update videos.

Have been following you for years and your system is amazing.
Glad you are enjoying it built out as much as you did building it.
[emoji846]

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always look forward to your update videos.

Have been following you for years and your system is amazing.
Glad you are enjoying it built out as much as you did building it.
[emoji846]

Thanks @norfolkgarden. I am going to try and get some update videos together for both displays. I have some new fish and corals that need some video attention.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in seeing how you built the skimmer. Looks mostly like PVC cylinder?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
30+ years in the hobby and perhaps the most solid stand I've seen yet and creativity at its best

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start planning an in depth skimmer series as there has been a lot of interest from the community.

I hope you do the more in depth vid, very interesting!

I'd be interested in seeing how you built the skimmer. Looks mostly like PVC cylinder?
The skimmer body is an HDPE tank and the skimmer neck, cup, and connecting pieces are all made from PVC.

30+ years in the hobby and perhaps the most solid stand I've seen yet and creativity at its best
I appreciate the comment on the stand. I wanted to make something you could park a car or two on.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. My first tank was a plywood tank. Loved it!!!
Just a point I learned from a boat builder in Florida while doing it, wherever wood touches wood, bond it with 2 part epoxy resin. Like steel. Great job on your huuuuge build

Thanks @Ferrell. On these tanks for the exterior seems I used exterior grade wood glue in combination with screws. The interior is sealed and fiber glassed with 2 part epoxy. I like the idea though of using 2 part epoxy for all wood seems. Just like a good wood glue the 2 part epoxy should absorb into the wood to create a stronger bond.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an early Christmas present from my wife last weekend. I saw a WWC Bounce my LFS and was just looking and finding out how much it was out of curiosity. Next thing I know my wife says merry christmas go ahead and buy it.
6571e3a2061e1d5d4d6971ddac5f5e09.jpg
97aa5a3a5f1b120dd52bd33a224343f3.jpg
e0dfd87b6698ba47d57259407b18ad6c.jpg

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, looks like things are really progressing! My basement system is currently drawing 500 kWh/month so I'm about to pull the trigger on the circulator pump to move to radiant heating. Is the Grundfos UP15-18B5 still the pump you'd go with? It would you choose a different one if you had to replace yours?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Alex, looks like things are really progressing! My basement system is currently drawing 500 kWh/month so I'm about to pull the trigger on the circulator pump to move to radiant heating. Is the Grundfos UP15-18B5 still the pump you'd go with? It would you choose a different one if you had to replace yours?

@pluikens I am still using the same Grundfos pump for the radiant heating system. I have not had any issues with it so far. As long as it is bronze or stainless steel pump it should work. If I was going to replace the pump as it is now I would get the same pump as it has been running without an issue. Even if I have a failure in the pump I should be able to reuse the pump volute so I should not need to go through soldering again. I would only consider getting another pump if it has a flange kit included that does not require soldering for installation.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the day. The little clown trigger. This little guy had a near fatal run in with the porcupine puffer a few weeks ago when it tried to take food away from the puffer. The clown trigger was nearly half swallowed and I managed to get the puffer to spit before it bit down full force. The triggers jaw was injured and was unable to fully close. It appeared that the jaw was dislocated or broken. I decided to take no actions and the fish did not give up on eating even though it could not close its mouth all the way. Its been a few weeks since the puffer incident and the clown triggers jaw appears to be fully functional again. I think its a great example of how fish have the ability to heal in a healthy aquarium environment.

IMG_5249.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back