AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my box of corals from the last Cherry Corals live sale. Can't wait to get these in the tank.
a7056439477a1b955dbef29c80a480ad.jpg

Ryan Marriott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading this thread from start to finish! You have sold me on the plywood tank. This system is put together amazingly! It takes a lot of skill, determination and patience to accomplish such an amazing build. I will be modeling your system in the future.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking amazing Alex!!! You must be over the moon with how the tanks have turned out and are looking! :D

Thanks @Wrangy I am very happy with how the tanks have turned out. I am looking forward to seeing the corals grow out into large colonies.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading this thread from start to finish! You have sold me on the plywood tank. This system is put together amazingly! It takes a lot of skill, determination and patience to accomplish such an amazing build. I will be modeling your system in the future.

Thanks @Ryan Marriott. This aquarium system has been a labor of love. I am very happy with the plywood tanks and how they have turned out. I am sure in the future I will be looking to build more DIY tanks. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I am always learning something new about this system which helps me to plan for future builds.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After traveling for over almost a month for a vacation and work I am home once again. This is the first time that I left my aquariums this long without being around to perform some standard maintenance. During my vacation I had the LFS owner stop by every couple of days and other than a calcium reactor adjustment being needed the tanks were fine. When I came home there were a couple of frags that were knocked off the rocks but that is nothing out of the ordinary. During my work trip my wife maintained the tanks without any issues. I learned that video calls help out a lot when you want to inspect how the system is running while you are away. I did some rearranging on the LPS side of the tank and spread out some frogspawn frags to help fill in the garden. My orange shoulder tang also decided not to be camera shy and I managed to take a really nice picture.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5655.JPG

Plazy21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a little while but I just went through this whole thread and will go through your videos on YouTube soon! Very Inspiring build. I'm just starting out in the salt world and am loving all the possibilities! One day I will build something as grand as you but for now I'll stick with my little tank to learn with :p

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tuskfish, one of my favorites! I had one years ago, it was impossible to keep snails in that tank but it was worth it.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have been back from my vacation and I got some time to make I video I wanted to talk about being away from my aquarium for almost 3 weeks in January. While the aquarium system did well while I was out of town I did have some lessons learn from this trip.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a crazy month and it was time to make an update video. After I got back from vacation I did a bunch of maintenance and made some new additions to the aquariums. There are new corals and fish in the tanks. The monster bubble coral I picked up is doing great. I also got watch my dog face puffer and clown trigger eat some long spine sea urchins. The mantis also put on a great show taking down a silverside on the feeding stick.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a great shot of the dragon face pipe fish. This little guy is constantly on the move looking for pods. My tank is like an all you can eat buffet with pods.

IMG_6113.jpg

Very nice!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty amazing build. Just made it through this whole thread.

One question, how much does your wife think this whole thing cost? My standard rule is to divide every price by 3 when I get the cost questions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back