Algae Barn...Good or Not?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue with @AlgaeBarn , always prompt shipping and always arrive alive. The one shipment I had an issue with(they used to use poly bags) the pod bags leaked, sent an email, and within a couple hours I had a new bag shipped out with a free bag of nano brine!

I have ordered several times from them with 0 issues. I cannot speak of the other listed as I have never ordered from them. @AlgaeBarn has always been top notch and have no need to look for other suppliers. When you find a great supplier in this hobby, you tend to stick with them.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue with @AlgaeBarn , always prompt shipping and always arrive alive. The one shipment I had an issue with(they used to use poly bags) the pod bags leaked, sent an email, and within a couple hours I had a new bag shipped out with a free bag of nano brine!

I have ordered several times from them with 0 issues. I cannot speak of the other listed as I have never ordered from them. @AlgaeBarn has always been top notch and have no need to look for other suppliers. When you find a great supplier in this hobby, you tend to stick with them.

Thanks for the info!

My main concern is parasites and hitchhikers. I have QT'd everything wet so far and have been extremely patient with everything up until now. I really don't like waiting 76 days for Algae and pods to go through QT, but will do it if I cannot find an absolutely reliable and trustworthy source for them. I have spent a lot of money on fish and will be spending a lot more on coral and would hate to loose any of them because of a bad batch of algae. I am still doing my research at this stage so any information is greatly appreciated.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries about @AlgaeBarn and hitchhikers. All their pods and macros are grown in separate systems devoid of fish.

In 10 or so orders over the course of a few years, I have never had anything other then what I ordered in my bags/jars of pods, pepermint shrimp, or macro I have bought from them.

Whats nice now, is everything is shipped in heavy plastic "mason" style jars. Much less likely hood of a poly bag popping or leaking.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Algae barn also, pods and plankton. I've read there are higher quality products on the market. I've had no issues with them at all.
I feed plankton everyday, my pods have there own refugium (2.5 gallon) Have 1000's in it. I put pods in 3 months ago and they took no issue, only pods I bought, so I can't comment on other brands. The unlucky pods end up in the main tank, they have established pretty well in that also. See hundreds at night with a flash light.

You can use Upgrade20 for 20% off your order.

The price may seem high, pretty sure its in the packaging and shipping charges. They pack them extremely well.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

My main concern is parasites and hitchhikers. I have QT'd everything wet so far and have been extremely patient with everything up until now. I really don't like waiting 76 days for Algae and pods to go through QT, but will do it if I cannot find an absolutely reliable and trustworthy source for them. I have spent a lot of money on fish and will be spending a lot more on coral and would hate to loose any of them because of a bad batch of algae. I am still doing my research at this stage so any information is greatly appreciated.
Pods are raised separate and with own water. Don't have to worry about contamination from pods.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin and used algae barn for a while to stock and replenish pods for a while with no issues. My cheato is from them from 4 years ago - I have to cut it back every 2 weeks. I've also used their phyto. No issues with contamination.

I now use Reef Nutrition Tigger pods and Phyto when I restock pods because my LFS carries them

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the replies!!!

I see that they are a lot more expensive than other sites, but I am willing to pay more for the peace of mind. Everything in this hobby has been expensive so far, I wouldn't expect anything different for quality pods and algae. :)

On a side note: Anyone feeding their Tangs, (or other Herbivores) algae? I think I may get some of the Ogo Algae and attach it to rocks throughout my tank. If I can get them eating like that, I can get rid of the clips for good!

Joshua Mummery

I Like Turtles
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says on their site, (Algae Barn) that they have 2-3 day shipping for free with orders over $40. Is this not what you experienced?

the actual shipping days are 2-3 days, but it takes up a week or more to get it to ship. Last order i waited 2 weeks for the order to process and ship

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From an email they sent---
"We will not be shipping from Tomorrow (4/16) until the end of the month (4/29) in order to setup all of this equipment"

Just a heads up if you need things sooner.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back