Algae Clean Scrubber Mini?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I'm looking at Algae Scrubber solutions for an AIO since I had some good success with it in previous tanks. I have a 50 gallon IM Nuvo Lagoon. It looks like this scrubber will fit on the back of my tank pretty well, but I was wondering if someone had any personal experience with them? If not, I plan on buying it and possibly reviewing it.

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
cwerner

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update this post with my progress on this. I purchased this HOB algae scrubber to manage nutrient reduction in my 50 gallon IM Fusion AIO. It looks like it's going to fit perfectly on one of the main return chambers of the tank.

Here is everything that was included after unboxing:

PXL_20230331_221840046.jpg

Most of the main body is acrylic, with 3d printed functional parts. Without having tried it, it appears to be a pretty clever design. I like the design of the LED bodies. There are LED banks on both sides provided that slot into a clear section of the body.

PXL_20230331_222030360.MP.jpg

PXL_20230331_222017468.jpg

The screen and bulkhead section is also 3d printed and is reversible so that the union fitting can go on either side of the body. Also a nice touch.

I'm cautiously impressed so far with the construction and the design and I think this should work well for me. The instructions recommended a 200-250gph pump. I have a Sicche Micraplus (158 gph) pump laying around that might be up to the task, otherwise I'll probably have to order something a little stronger. I'll also need to get a 1/2 inch ball valve and silicone tubing to plumb this. My plan is to pull water from the main return chamber to feed the scrubber. I'll update this thread once I have it plumbed and running for initial impressions.

Attachments

• PXL_20230331_221448745.jpg
    PXL_20230331_221448745.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 63

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would update this post with my progress on this. I purchased this HOB algae scrubber to manage nutrient reduction in my 50 gallon IM Fusion AIO. It looks like it's going to fit perfectly on one of the main return chambers of the tank.

Most of the main body is acrylic, with 3d printed functional parts. Without having tried it, it appears to be a pretty clever design. I like the design of the LED bodies. There are LED banks on both sides provided that slot into a clear section of the body.

The screen and bulkhead section is also 3d printed and is reversible so that the union fitting can go on either side of the body. Also a nice touch.

I'm cautiously impressed so far with the construction and the design and I think this should work well for me. The instructions recommended a 200-250gph pump. I have a Sicche Micraplus (158 gph) pump laying around that might be up to the task, otherwise I'll probably have to order something a little stronger. I'll also need to get a 1/2 inch ball valve and silicone tubing to plumb this. My plan is to pull water from the main return chamber to feed the scrubber. I'll update this thread once I have it plumbed and running for initial impressions.
Any updates on if it works? Thanks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting approach to an AIO tank! :) I have repurposed 2 x Two Little Fishies reactors on mu Fluval Evo's as refugiums. Works well!

Let us see how you get on! Best of luck!

Falsorakjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, please update us on your feedback about ACS. Is it growning good amount of hair algae? Pros and Cons of the products? Thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back