Algae eater

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish recently that died and it was able to keep my hair algae in check, but since he died it’s starting to creep up my coral frags and irritated them. The problem is that there’s an angel in this tank and the tank is a nano, the angel was never aggressive with the small goby as it had preestablished territory, the goby had a whole cave under the rock. I would like to try and find a lawnmower blenny that will eat mysis but what if the angel were to try and attack it? Are lawnmowers fairly aggressive? I doubt the angel would be really aggressive as it has been with a goby known for being fairly shy/sensitive so it’s more of a “what if” situation. The fish wouldn’t be just for clean up crew as I like the lawnmower blenny as a fish in general I just haven’t had the right tank for one really. Would this work?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmowers, starry blennies, tailspots aren't precisely aggressive, but they can generally dodge and shrug off aggression from other fish. They're also _very_ good at ducking into holes when something's annoying them.

~Bruce

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmowers, starry blennies, tailspots aren't precisely aggressive, but they can generally dodge and shrug off aggression from other fish. They're also _very_ good at ducking into holes when something's annoying them.

~Bruce
Okay good, I might as well try one, I can always return it if it decides to not work out... what Nano fish are best for eating algae?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hectors and rainsford gobies are among the best hair algae eaters. Starry and lawnmower blennies may eat hair algae, but can also be picky. I would recommend against a lawnmower in a nano, as they often refuse offered foods and a tank that size may not meet their needs.

Halloween and tuxedo urchins do a great job of eating various algaes.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin also won’t touch it, it’s a weird hair algae, brown and really long. The hector was the only thing that would keep it in check.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back