Algae help

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I've been having various issues... including many types of algae

The pictures here should help: https://imgur.com/a/uAIx8

All of my parameters are in check, except phosphates, which have been at .5 for over 2 years. I do weekly 25% water changes and I don't quite understand why I have such big issues.

Mainly nuisance algae but recently I've been noticing Cyano aswell. If anyone can offer advice please let me know!

devilhunt1231

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see on my phone it looks mostly like some hair algae, what type if clean up crew do you have and how many of each?
Gary

P.s. your issue is tiny compared to the cyanobacteria issues that I've got lol.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano and green hair algae. What are you feeding? And did you use live rock or dry rock? How long has the tank been running? Something you could do to help would be, if you have the room, to add a refugium or get a GFO reactor to take the phosphates out of your water.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also stop fiddling to much and lower your light and period time , get better power pumps or relocate them and get a cleaning crew

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most success ive had at algae removal has been dosing vinegar daily.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red spectrum greatly enhances algae growth. Eliminate that too.

OP
OP
Techie_

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano and green hair algae. What are you feeding? And did you use live rock or dry rock? How long has the tank been running? Something you could do to help would be, if you have the room, to add a refugium or get a GFO reactor to take the phosphates out of your water.

Feeding 1 cube of mysis daily, nori as needed (is not left in tank), only use live rock, the tank has been up nearly 2 years... I'll look into GFO, my temporary solution is Chemipure Blue currently.

Also stop fiddling to much and lower your light and period time, get better power pumps or relocate them and get a cleaning crew
Usually algae issue are too much nutrients and light and cyano no good water movement

I'm going to assume you tried to say feeding and to that I say, one cube every day should not be doing this. Or in the case, you meant fiddling, I don't jack around with it daily, only water changes. Light time is already down to a 6-hour photoperiod. I also have an IceCap 3K on the tank, so flow should not an issue; however, I think I could change my flow profile a bit to have more time in reverse, shooting under the pump, which is where the bulk of the cyano is. I also have a CUC that has been there long enough to start repopulating, I'm good there as well.

The most success ive had at algae removal has been dosing vinegar daily.
Red spectrum greatly enhances algae growth. Eliminate that too.
I have no red spectrum in my tank, except for ambient lighting. How would you suggest going about vinegar dosing? Is there a thread I could look at?

Thank you all for your time

OP
OP
Techie_

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see on my phone it looks mostly like some hair algae, what type if clean up crew do you have and how many of each?
Gary

P.s. your issue is tiny compared to the cyanobacteria issues that I've got lol.
LOTS of snails. I've only got a couple of crabs since a few died after my switch to a larger tank.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used before vinegar but works better for me
Nopox , i think i cube of mysis every say its too much why no try just half. Or less , i think that is just issue

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox , i think i cube of mysis every say its too much why no try just half. Or less , i think that is just issue
If you have a refugium with chaeto does vinegar dosing mess with the chaeto at all?

OP
OP
Techie_

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 9 fish and they all don't get a bite every day, I always see the cube get eaten, it's not an issue.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with?

High nitrates and phosphates/nutrient and the lead cause of GHA. Cyano and diatom are present is our system all the time, it just what make the have a outbreak. Mine was running my white spectrum too long.

Clean up crew and look at the white spectrum length.

OP
OP
Techie_

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you testing with?

High nitrates and phosphates/nutrient and the lead cause of GHA. Cyano and diatom are present is our system all the time, it just what make the have a outbreak. Mine was running my white spectrum too long.

Clean up crew and look at the white spectrum length.

I've got more snails than I can count, I probably need a few more hermits or something along those lines. White spectrum is around 4 hours, testing with Red Sea master kit.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you stop doing that the nutrients still there when i got that issues i changed 50 % of water every week for 6 times and alga and cyano were gone also added GFO reactor and more cleaning crew

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like @crabs_mcjones gave some pretty sound advice. I would also suggest using Lanthanum Chloride to get the phosphates down then running the GFO to keep the Phosphate down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back