Algae ID and Help - Cycling

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Recently cycling my tank upgrade, and I had a wave of diatoms, which now seem to have turned into some kind of hair algae that does not stop growing!

I have a 650L tank and my CUC consists of the following: Nassarius Snails, Hermet Crabs, White Spot Urchin, Chalk Goby and Watchman Goby (if they count!). I know i need more, but none of them seem interested in the new forest thats appeared!

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Conor

algae 1.jpg
algae 2.jpg

OP
OP
ConorE

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green hair algae. Usually a CUC doesn’t eat algae when it’s that big so you might have to pull it off by hand .
I thought so, I did try to pull some yesterday but it doesnt like to come off . The tank is fairly deep too so a wetsuit might come in handy haha

YoungReefer00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so, I did try to pull some yesterday but it doesnt like to come off . The tank is fairly deep too so a wetsuit might come in handy haha

I let the hair algae grow till my tank was cycled, when i added my first fish ( Foxface Rabbitfish ) it completely destroyed every single bit of the hair algae within 3 days, haven't seen it since.

OP
OP
ConorE

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let the hair algae grow till my tank was cycled, when i added my first fish ( Foxface Rabbitfish ) it completely destroyed every single bit of the hair algae within 3 days, haven't seen it since.

Ooh I hadn't thought about fish eating it. I have a YT currently in quarantine, do you think he would be interested when he is allowed into the display tank?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but it looks like that has feather like structure and that would suggest bryopsis. Much more difficult to erradicate. I've read fluconazole is effective; search for threads.

YoungReefer00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh I hadn't thought about fish eating it. I have a YT currently in quarantine, do you think he would be interested when he is allowed into the display tank?

Every fish is different but it is definitely possible, I personally recommend trying to fix it naturally by introducing algae eating fish species like your yellow tang into the tank before using any products.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Recently cycling my tank upgrade, and I had a wave of diatoms, which now seem to have turned into some kind of hair algae that does not stop growing!

I have a 650L tank and my CUC consists of the following: Nassarius Snails, Hermet Crabs, White Spot Urchin, Chalk Goby and Watchman Goby (if they count!). I know i need more, but none of them seem interested in the new forest thats appeared!

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Conor

algae 1.jpg
algae 2.jpg
Almost sure that is bryopsis. Very tough stuff I had a few patches in my tank and the only thing that worked was fluconazole, 4-7 days completely gone

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but it looks like that has feather like structure and that would suggest bryopsis. Much more difficult to erradicate. I've read fluconazole is effective; search for threads.
+3 for bryopsis. looks fern like to me.

OP
OP
ConorE

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3 for bryopsis. looks fern like to me.

Any ideas on a cause? Should I be fixing something as well as just removing it?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly recommend fluconazole if it is either. It'll take down GHA and bryopsis.

Back