Algae ID

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
4,166
Reaction score
3,650
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can anyone ID these small bubbles all over my rock? My first thought was bubble algae, but they are dark, and closer to the rock then the traditional bubble.

And I appreciate treatment ideas.

IMG_0109.jpeg
 
I’ll be the 3rd one to confirm bubble algae. Looking close at the pictures it looks like the classic bubble algae I’ve seen in my 25 years of reefing. I second an emerald crab to eradicate it naturally. Don’t pop the bubbles on your own, it’ll make it spread like crazy
 
I have a pithos and a few emeralds already in there, but they don't see to do much.
 
I think I remember others saying a Foxface eats it but I’ve never had one so can’t confirm it works well. And like any tank I’m sure it depends on who you already have in there that is compatible with it.
 
If you can, hand place one right in the algae patch and tell him to get to work or he will end up on a cracker with melted cheese.
I talk to him every night, it's our before sleep talk. Please eat algae, please eat algae. Meanwhile he goes to bed and plots how to kill me the next day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new