OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ard they esting it . ?? Try s couple of Mexican turbo snails
They seem to be busy, but this stuff grows like crazy. None are touching that top rock that I posted a picture of. Most of the other rocks are clear. NOTHING is touching my glass. I'll grab some Mexican's tomorrow.. for some reason I can never keep those things alive for more than a week.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be busy, but this stuff grows like crazy. None are touching that top rock that I posted a picture of. Most of the other rocks are clear. NOTHING is touching my glass. I'll grab some Mexican's tomorrow.. for some reason I can never keep those things alive for more than a week.
Are you running a UV on your tank
How big is your tank .?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not. When someone first mentioned dinos I had a full blown meltdown and dug out a "GREEN MACHINE" from the garage.. lol. But we both know that's worthless.
I would get yourself a good UV anc put it on I would recommend 1w per 3gal

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there one that you recommend that doesn't require replumbing my sump?
Hang it direct in your dt at night . .run it when lights are out ...mine doesn't fit in my sump either .. but this is recommended for dinos ...but will work for algea...ivr got a 36w on a 90g tank

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200205_192729.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idoc @dwest

Have you tried the below link with a coffee filter?

and does it id dinos?

Thank you
I did it and it was inconclusive for me.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea of what this is? It’s tufting with hair growing out of it on the sand. Looks like hair algae on the rocks and it creates a green dust on the glass.
4EE43D3E-F64B-4F4C-BB97-1774B9795D30.jpeg
There could be several different organisms growing here.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts?
Some thoughts.

Green hair algae that is infested with something, dinoflagellates maybe, would look like the hairy stuff. Gently pull out some of those filaments growing in the sand and place them on a microscope slide in a drop of tank water. Place a cover slip on the drop of water but do not smash it down. If it is GHA, you will see green branching filaments. Stuck to those filaments could be all sorts of small organisms whose diameter will be smaller than the width of the GHA filament. There might also be nondescript clumps of “stuff”. There could also be cyanobacteria filaments entangled with the GHA filaments.

The beautiful green covering on the rocks and glass could be another type of algae. Getting a sample of these to view under the microscope could be tedious, worth at least a fifteen minute attempt. The ones on the rock could be different than the ones on the glass. Either of these algae might be a swimmer that settled, but you won’t know this until you view it.

Post what you find.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts.

Green hair algae that is infested with something, dinoflagellates maybe, would look like the hairy stuff. Gently pull out some of those filaments growing in the sand and place them on a microscope slide in a drop of tank water. Place a cover slip on the drop of water but do not smash it down. If it is GHA, you will see green branching filaments. Stuck to those filaments could be all sorts of small organisms whose diameter will be smaller than the width of the GHA filament. There might also be nondescript clumps of “stuff”. There could also be cyanobacteria filaments entangled with the GHA filaments.

The beautiful green covering on the rocks and glass could be another type of algae. Getting a sample of these to view under the microscope could be tedious, worth at least a fifteen minute attempt. The ones on the rock could be different than the ones on the glass. Either of these algae might be a swimmer that settled, but you won’t know this until you view it.

Post what you find.

Did you see the scope shots from a few posts up?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back