Algae identification help!

Steven9194

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2023
Messages
124
Reaction score
40
Location
shorewood
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for some help with determining what this is growing on my sand bed. I noticed it goes away at night, then returns during the day. Originally I was thinking Diatoms or Dino’s, but I see no air bubbles at all, so I’m thinking cyano, but not 100% sure.

 
Looks like dinos but need age of the tank and complete parameters.
Sorry forgot to attach this photo sharing that info. Have a UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, started running a GFO about a month ago and just added a golf ball size of Cheato about 3 weeks ago. Besides that I’ve been slowly bringing my PO4 and NO3 down, as they got a bit to high.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2097.png
    IMG_2097.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 36
Sorry forgot to attach this photo sharing that info. Have a UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, started running a GFO about a month ago and just added a golf ball size of Cheato about 3 weeks ago. Besides that I’ve been slowly bringing my PO4 and NO3 down, as they got a bit to high.
Looks like dinos but need age of the tank and complete parameters.
I did also recently add in a few new fish. So wasn’t sure if that caused any changes.
 
Sorry forgot to attach this photo sharing that info. Have a UV sterilizer, carbon reactor, started running a GFO about a month ago and just added a golf ball size of Cheato about 3 weeks ago. Besides that I’ve been slowly bringing my PO4 and NO3 down, as they got a bit to high.
Numbers are good. Probably not dinos. Are you running to much white light? What color is the algae under white light?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new