Algae identification - microscopic images

Soilbreaker

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

could you help me out identifying the algae I currently have in my reef tank? Attached you will find some images. I probably guess diatoms and cyanobacteria are present. However, I also think that some dinoflagellates are in between. But I'm not sure about the last.

Thanks in advance!

ALG2.jpg ALG3.jpg ALG4.jpg ALG5.jpg ALG6.jpg ALG7.jpg ALG1.jpg
 
Your labels on pic 1 are correct. I can't be sure what type of dino from the picture. I believe the long cylinder is green hair algae. I am surprised it is not greener, in fact most of the color seems pale. Maybe light is scattered someplace in the light path.

Pics 2 and 3 are similar. I believe you have a type a diatom that is forming a chain.

Pic 4: diatoms surrounding hair algae, some red cyanobacteria as well.

Pic 5,6,7 same. Another type of diatom can be seen.
 
Thank you for the clarification. You helped me a lot!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new