Algae Identification

  • Thread starter Thread starter 293482398
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

293482398

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2017
Messages
1,853
Reaction score
6,667
Location
NYC
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.jpg


It's very thick like a macro algae, so it's seems different than typical GHA. It looks different than bropysis pictures, but it has a root like structure. White tips.

C.jpg

@saltyfilmfolks or @Diesel, any ideas?
 
Looks more like branching hydroids growing in algae. White tips are a dead giveaway
 
I searched the Salty archives.
I’m stumped.

If you pull a pice out and smell it , it’ll tell you if it’s an algae pretty quick.

Crabs , I’m going with algae , I’ve seen macros and calurpas go sexual and kinda look like that.
I could be wrong.

Tagging the #reefsquad.
 
I searched the Salty archives.
I’m stumped.

If you pull a pice out and smell it , it’ll tell you if it’s an algae pretty quick.

Crabs , I’m going with algae , I’ve seen macros and calurpas go sexual and kinda look like that.
I could be wrong.

Tagging the #reefsquad.
No problem, just reminded me of this stuff
branching-hydroids-left.jpg
 
I'm with Crabs. If you zoom in on the white tips you will see the gastrozooid.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

My tanks had been pretty algae free. I feel this came in on a colony I purchased and has been growing in the shade. I don't know what it is. I've had digitate hydroids in another tank, but those were stand alone hydroids. Notice how the algae seems have a rigid brown stem.

If you think it's hydroids, I could try some bendazole on some in a bucket. I was hoping you'd think it was a macro that was susceptible to fluconazole.
 
The hydroids are attached to some sort of macro but can't make out what it is.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new