Algae identification

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay… long story short it’s my first saltwater tank and things aren’t doing great. I’ve had a brook problem and now my tank is running a fallow cycle( don’t worry ive setup a qt tank) Since then ive been barreling dinos which i got rid of but then cyano appeared… It grew out of control and i used chemiclean and i need help to identify the algae that is growing in my tank. I’m letting it get nice and dirty to be sure that nothing else grows in it but i don’t think it’s hair algae since it’s not green so if you guys could help!!! Note that nitrates and phosphates are too low to read but i thought it was a false negative

thanks and sorry for my english!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me kind of like Lyngbya(another type of cyano but looks quite a bit different than traditional cyano).

Google "Lyngbya reef aquarium" and see if it looks like what you have there

OP
OP
Raph

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me kind of like Lyngbya(another type of cyano but looks quite a bit different than traditional cyano).

Google "Lyngbya reef aquarium" and see if it looks like what you have there
thanks! yes it may be it, i see that manual removal would be the best way to handle do you have any other suggestion? hey at least it’s dino right?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! yes it may be it, i see that manual removal would be the best way to handle do you have any other suggestion? hey at least it’s dino right?

Sadly no really good suggestions. Make sure temp is not too high as it likes high temp. I think it is fairly common for newer tanks to go through a stage of it

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back