Algae in new 90 gallon reef tank

Partsman19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have just set up a new 90 gallon reef tank, which has been up and running for around 7 weeks. I have noticed that I have red slime starting on 1 rock and brown algae on the glass starting and would like to know if there is a fish I could put in there that would eat the algae. Also, what would you recommend as a good clean up crew to add to the tank and best place to purchase them.

Thanks,

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your Tank is growing up!! You have a 90gal so I would definatly get the TANG GANG going.. Yellow Tang, Blue eye Kole Tang, Sailfin Tang all herbivores that will continue to eat algae 24/7

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have just set up a new 90 gallon reef tank, which has been up and running for around 7 weeks. I have noticed that I have red slime starting on 1 rock and brown algae on the glass starting and would like to know if there is a fish I could put in there that would eat the algae. Also, what would you recommend as a good clean up crew to add to the tank and best place to purchase them.

Thanks,
I guess the first question should be has the tank been completely cycled? 7 weeks is still pretty new and will most likely go through several algae phases. Nothing really eats the red slime algae anyways unfortunately. The brown algae can be handled with snails. I would hold off on adding a bunch of fish strictly for algae control at this point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back