Algae is exploding

Ethan9696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e3f3be778f7c6a289d8926ab0996094c.jpg

So I have this red stuff growing on the sand in my tank. It started happening after I upgraded to a good light, which I’ve already shortened the hours it is on to less then 12 which is what my LFS suggested. Any idea on what it is and how to get rid of it? Also is it bad for the tank? Thank you!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano bacteria. Normal.

Increase flow watch your feedings.

It’s quite likely due to new spectrums being introduced.

If I may ask, what light did you have and what light did you upgrade too?

@Dana Riddle.

OP
OP
Ethan9696

Ethan9696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano bacteria. Normal.

Increase flow watch your feedings.

It’s quite likely due to new spectrums being introduced.

If I may ask, what light did you have and what light did you upgrade too?

@Dana Riddle.

I had some cheap light from my LFS that was meant for freshwater and then went to a Current USA ORBIT Marine Light!

OP
OP
Ethan9696

Ethan9696

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in hearing of any changes to lighting (spectrum, intensity, photoperiod.) We're in uncharted territory here.

It went from just white LEDs to now white, blue, red, and green. Before it wasn’t on a timer so whenever I got up and went to bed was how long it was on but now I have it turning on by sunrise at 10am and turning off by sunset mode at 9pm!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some cheap light from my LFS that was meant for freshwater and then went to a Current USA ORBIT Marine Light!
Very interested in hearing of any changes to lighting (spectrum, intensity, photoperiod.) We're in uncharted territory here.
I’m the multitude of thread I’ve read on “these lights have me algae” , I’ve either observed a drastic change in par , like 20 on the sand to 100+, or an increase in pur (by algaes in this case). Claims were made in all types of lighting. T5 mh and led.
In this case I’d wager both.Particularly in the blue.
Fwiw current is the only led I’ve Color temped the native color that came out at a true 20,000 Kelvin. The exact same as a 20k radium MH. Other leds at native wont color temp as the blue is too high even though a native color temp of 14-18k is advertised. (In small print )

My bet is the cyano will burn itself out with a little help from flow and cuc.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the multitude of thread I’ve read on “these lights have me algae” , I’ve either observed a drastic change in par , like 20 on the sand to 100+, or an increase in pur (by algaes in this case). Claims were made in all types of lighting. T5 mh and led.
In this case I’d wager both.Particularly in the blue.
Fwiw current is the only led I’ve Color temped the native color that came out at a true 20,000 Kelvin. The exact same as a 20k radium MH. Other leds at native wont color temp as the blue is too high even though a native color temp of 14-18k is advertised. (In small print )

My bet is the cyano will burn itself out with a little help from flow and cuc.
How did you measure CCT? The OO software goes to about 13000K and so does the Seneye (as beast as I can tell.)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the specs on that meter - very impressive for the price. I'll have to start saving my allowance and get one. Ocean Optics has to be worried about some of these newer meters - at some time OO's products were relatively affordable and they dominated the diffraction grating spectrometer market. Not any more.

Back