Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people post about algae issues, most suggestions are to get a clean-up crew (two orders from reefcleaners didn't help me), manual removal (easier said than done and it's not going to remove all of the algae plus it'll probably just grow back), or chemicals (I tried Vibrant and it didn't work, and who really wants to add chemicals anyway?), or a blackout (two blackouts temporarily worked for me, but I doubt my fish/corals enjoyed them very much and waiting those 3 days without really knowing whats going on kinda sucked) There are other suggestions but I think these are the top ones.
Enter an algae scrubber. I put a DIY algae scrubber in my sump about 2 months ago, and my tank is virtually algae free with no signs of it reappearing. My nutrients are good (Nitrates @ 1.0-2.5; Phosphates @ 0.05-0.08). I have a heavily stocked tank and I keep my fish well fed.
It seems that most people that have an algae scrubber swear by them, so why are they not used more?
Is it the cost? Store bought ones are a huge expense, especially not seeing the results with your own eyes. My DIY scrubber probably cost less than $80 and it is probably the best the best thing I have done with my tank

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people post about algae issues, most suggestions are to get a clean-up crew (two orders from reefcleaners didn't help me), manual removal (easier said than done and it's not going to remove all of the algae plus it'll probably just grow back), or chemicals (I tried Vibrant and it didn't work, and who really wants to add chemicals anyway?), or a blackout (two blackouts temporarily worked for me, but I doubt my fish/corals enjoyed them very much and waiting those 3 days without really knowing whats going on kinda sucked) There are other suggestions but I think these are the top ones.
Enter an algae scrubber. I put a DIY algae scrubber in my sump about 2 months ago, and my tank is virtually algae free with no signs of it reappearing. My nutrients are good (Nitrates @ 1.0-2.5; Phosphates @ 0.05-0.08). I have a heavily stocked tank and I keep my fish well fed.
It seems that most people that have an algae scrubber swear by them, so why are they not used more?
Is it the cost? Store bought ones are a huge expense, especially not seeing the results with your own eyes. My DIY scrubber probably cost less than $80 and it is probably the best the best thing I have done with my tank
Got any pictures of it?????

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many threads I see and I think to myself how an algae scrubber would solve the persons issues. I’ve replied and suggested them and posted my experience and pictures and people seem interested but don’t follow through and get/build one

I guess some people like removing and scrubbing rocks and buying chemicals that solve one problem but create another and then they have to buy and dose chemical products in an endless loop

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many threads I see and I think to myself how an algae scrubber would solve the persons issues. I’ve replied and suggested them and posted my experience and pictures and people seem interested but don’t follow through and get/build one

I guess some people like removing and scrubbing rocks and buying chemicals that solve one problem but create another and then they have to buy and dose chemical products in an endless loop
Yep. Oh well...to each their own. I just know that it's working for me. Took me over 3 years to do it, but I'll never go without one now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Oh well...to each their own. I just know that it's working for me. Took me over 3 years to do it, but I'll never go without one now.
Glad for your solution to your problem.

Algae refugiums aren’t known for their nutrient export. Refugiums are known for biodiversity of amphods, copepods and from my point of view, as a source of live food from recycled nutrients.

Five years ago, after 20 years using algae refugium, I turned out the lights and inoculated with cryptic sponges. Refugium continues to produce live food and now uses cryptic sponges to recycle DOC from coral & algae exudates.

You are right. To each his own and
“Viva La Difference”.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space, cost, refuge(same but different), up keep, messy...
Many reasons why and why not to use.
This has also been my experience. I also never had much luck with them growing well vs chaeto if I had to choose. I personally will not try one again but if it’s working well for you that is great!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the Algae Scrubber, Plans, what Light do you use, when is it on? I have a bunch of Acrylic Sheet, I’d love to build one, just don’t know how. Also have an RGB COB, that grows algae like mad :( The ones for sale are expensive and don’t impress me on long term usability.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? I built one but it’s noisy with the water splashing, also would clog up.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took you three years to get the algae scrubber to fix your problem, or you did all kinds of other stuff to deal with algae and then you added the scrubber and your problems resolved?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an algae reactor have the same benefit?

It would have some of the same benefits. I diy a 3’ high 3” diameter algae reactor, but never removed algae as nutrient export, instead it operated as a live food refugium. In all of my display tanks: the coral, inverts and fish are the nutrient sinks; which is nutrient recycling.

Aside from gravel vac, if I need nutrient export, then I frag and sell corals.
image.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have some of the same benefits. I diy a 3’ high 3” diameter algae reactor, but never removed algae as nutrient export, instead it operated as a live food refugium. In all of my display tanks: the coral, inverts and FTS are the nutrient sinks; which is nutrient recycling.

image.jpg
Well, obviously if you aren't using it as intended, it won't have the same benefit, lol.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I was setting up a new tank, my entire sump and filtration would be built around an algae turf scrubber and protein skimmer.

I’m done fighting a “refugium” and that mess. Hair algae eventually moves in and beats out chaeto (or other macros) every time. Not to mention they almost always light up your whole sump area, grow algae on all your equipment and it goes unchecked as most snails in the sump cause problems in time.

If your display can’t provide enough pods for your fish, you have a flawed design to begin with. Either not enough safe havens for pods or too many pod eating fish.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, obviously if you aren't using it as intended, it won't have the same benefit, lol.
Too funny. I made this three years ago. For the first year, it was serviced bi-monthly, until I got bored with the messy job. I do plenty of messy jobs, however I find this hobby “MARVELOUS” as I emulate
natural food webs to grow good janitors that further cycle live food up the “microbial highway”.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back