Algae issues? Why dont more people use algae scrubbers?

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have nothing against an ATS, low nutrients are not, IMO, the best or only road to algae control. Too frequently enough N and P for corals allows algae growth, and going lower hurts corals.

FWIW, some ATS may possibly be limiting algae growth by taking up available iron or manganese, limiting those for pest algae.
But if you can contain the algae in one area (the ATS, rather than the DT), isn't that the same thing in regards to N and P that the corals may need? What I mean is does it make a difference where in the tank/sump/ATS the algae is?

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people post about algae issues, most suggestions are to get a clean-up crew (two orders from reefcleaners didn't help me), manual removal (easier said than done and it's not going to remove all of the algae plus it'll probably just grow back), or chemicals (I tried Vibrant and it didn't work, and who really wants to add chemicals anyway?), or a blackout (two blackouts temporarily worked for me, but I doubt my fish/corals enjoyed them very much and waiting those 3 days without really knowing whats going on kinda sucked) There are other suggestions but I think these are the top ones.
Enter an algae scrubber. I put a DIY algae scrubber in my sump about 2 months ago, and my tank is virtually algae free with no signs of it reappearing. My nutrients are good (Nitrates @ 1.0-2.5; Phosphates @ 0.05-0.08). I have a heavily stocked tank and I keep my fish well fed.
It seems that most people that have an algae scrubber swear by them, so why are they not used more?
Is it the cost? Store bought ones are a huge expense, especially not seeing the results with your own eyes. My DIY scrubber probably cost less than $80 and it is probably the best the best thing I have done with my tank
Algae scrubbers are effective for sure.
The fuge is more interesting way to achieve the same end result.
Your parameters look good but just a suggestion have you checked for silicate.
In the end ........ The old adage of "The solution to pollution is dilution" definitely works:)
All the best and happy reefing

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231208_091432.jpg
20231214_163237.jpg
20231214_163313.jpg

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a point when I had hair algae growing every where, I tried the Turbo Aquatics Scrubber and although it was growing Algae it was still growing in my Display Tank. I eventually took it out and just kept scrubbing my rocks. My tank finally Matured and I don't get any now. My Tank gets cleaned by my inverts and fish. The only place it will grow is inside my power heads.

new3.jpg new4.jpg

Last edited:

Regmanabq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!!!

My experience, (*albeit I'm super new with an 8 month old biocube (which has limited space for anything like fuges and reactors and scrubbers and skimmers!), with one clown, 15 snails and 16 small frags I got a month ago and a hammer I've had for six that just grows like a weed! has been:

Chaeto in my intank "fuge" would maintain for a while, not really grow, but maintain, until suddenly just melting into goo. Tried three different times with different sizes, placement, different flow, different light and schedule, but I could just never get it to grow, which made me super sad as I wanted to have some chaeto and pod "nursery"...

but as I'm learning, every tank is different, every hobbist is different, everyone's advise and info is different :) and sometimes you just need to keep looking for the right solution for you and your tank.

So.... after struggling with a huge algae outbreak for a couple of months now that I just can't get control of, I pulled the trigger last night on a Drop .6 and we will give that a go.

Thanks for the great insight and discussion on this which is super timely for me!
PXL_20231128_224739189.jpg

PXL_20231201_002237866.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!!!

My experience, (*albeit I'm super new with an 8 month old biocube (which has limited space for anything like fuges and reactors and scrubbers and skimmers!), with one clown, 15 snails and 16 small frags I got a month ago and a hammer I've had for six that just grows like a weed! has been:

Chaeto in my intank "fuge" would maintain for a while, not really grow, but maintain, until suddenly just melting into goo. Tried three different times with different sizes, placement, different flow, different light and schedule, but I could just never get it to grow, which made me super sad as I wanted to have some chaeto and pod "nursery"...

but as I'm learning, every tank is different, every hobbist is different, everyone's advise and info is different :) and sometimes you just need to keep looking for the right solution for you and your tank.

So.... after struggling with a huge algae outbreak for a couple of months now that I just can't get control of, I pulled the trigger last night on a Drop .6 and we will give that a go.

Thanks for the great insight and discussion on this which is super timely for me!
PXL_20231128_224739189.jpg

PXL_20231201_002237866.jpg
Your display looks great. Kudus to you.

What is Drop .6?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to deal with it other ways. I recently put the DIY one in my tank
This is a common way this kind of story goes, which makes it not at all clear that the ATS is responsible for anything you have observed. It is very possible that all the other stuff you did finally built up enough momentum to have had an impact on the algae. The last thing done isn't necessarily the cause of the change.
People swear by a lot of things that don't necessarily do what people hope they do.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your display looks great. Kudus to you.

What is Drop .6?
It’s a Santa Monica scrubber that drops in your tank. Designed to filter for .6 cubes of feeding a day I think

Here is my algae free, skimmer free tank filtered by a sump with 3” sand bed, lots of live rock, 2 bags chemipure, and a Santa Monica scrubber. I use filtered water for freshwater top off mixed with some All For Reef. I haven’t done a water change in over 2 years. Numbers are steady and stable. Corals are thriving. Almost all these were grown from tiny frags

Phosphate - .02-.05
Nitrate 1-3
Temp 77
Alk around 8

34CBBB25-D540-434C-A737-AFE4BAFD9AED.jpeg 28226BC6-DEAD-41EE-90D5-CB9C11DCE533.jpeg BD3089B3-5A1E-4164-9DC8-63ADCC0DF650.jpeg AE018794-CEDB-4159-99C6-6C648F377664.jpeg D62849B1-12F0-423C-ADFD-1E842A38AFA1.jpeg 21904319-C6EC-4582-A85D-87BDC6C32153.jpeg D433CFEB-C1B4-420A-8F3C-48604098A0C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Santa Monica scrubber that drops in your all in one tanks rear chamber.

Here is my algae free, skimmer free tank filtered by a sump with 3” sand bed, lots of live rock, 2 bags chemipure, and a Santa Monica scrubber. I use filtered water for freshwater top off mixed with some All For Reef

Phosphate - .02-.05
Nitrate 1-3
Temp 77
Alk around 8

Outstanding. The colors look like Mardi Gras on steroids.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my sps reef running a scrubber and skimmer - no water changes here also. All colonies both soft and hard grown from small frags

Attachments

• IMG_3862 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_3862 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3511_2.jpg
    IMG_3511_2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 5 (Medium).jpg
    photo 5 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2326 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2326 (Medium).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 3 (Medium).jpg
    photo 3 (Medium).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get an ATS to make much of an impact on my system. I have tried several.

I don't see much compelling evidence to support the idea of growing algae in one place resulting in algae not growing in another - without other actions implemented at the same time
What is behind the assumption that there is a competition and not more than enough resources for both?
I think the light blasting onto the algae helps it to out compete with the algae that would be in the DT.
@ScubaSkeets
I heard a BRS pod cast that said that. Just because they said it and you think it that is not evidence. Just as, my tank never looked better is not objective evidence.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a common way this kind of story goes, which makes it not at all clear that the ATS is responsible for anything you have observed. It is very possible that all the other stuff you did finally built up enough momentum to have had an impact on the algae. The last thing done isn't necessarily the cause of the change.
People swear by a lot of things that don't necessarily do what people hope they do.
This

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That's exactly it. That is why algae is growing inside my algae scrubber and no where else.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScubaSkeets
I heard a BRS pod cast that said that. Just because they said it and you think it that is not evidence. Just as, my tank never looked better is not objective evidence.
So use your method of removing algae (assuming you do/did have algae) because however way that you are doing it is not objective evidence either.
Use my suggestion or don't, I really don't care. I was simply offering an alternative that worked for me.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back