Algae on Christmas Worm Rock

LilReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I’ve had this christmas worm rock for a few weeks and noticed that its recently had an algae (I believe) growing on the top. I think its coralline algae but I’m unsure since I haven’t delved much into algae types. My main question was whether or not I should remove it or leave it. Its spreading closer to some of the holes in the rock and has surrounded a small christmas tree worm. Its also beginning to grow into the hole where a crab resides, which I suspect may be why it hasn’t come out in a few days. Should I be removing it or leaving it? Would it look better to leave it to spread if it doesn’t harm the worms?

Thank you :D

image.jpg image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like cyano bacteria. Use a turkey baster to gently try to blow it off, if it comes off, its cyano.

Cyano won't usually grow on living tissue, but I can see the porite is mostly dead, the cyano is growing on the dead parts.

OP
OP
L

LilReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like cyano bacteria. Use a turkey baster to gently try to blow it off, if it comes off, its cyano.

Cyano won't usually grow on living tissue, but I can see the porite is mostly dead, the cyano is growing on the dead parts.
Oh no :( is it common for the porite to die or would something in the tank be causing the death? Is there a way to stop the porite dying? I like the colour it is currently and I don’t really want to lose that.
It was quite easy to lift off of the rock and it felt soft and kind of spongey to the touch.
Do I just use water in the turkey baster to blow it off whilst submerged or should I take it out of the water to blow it off?
Sorry for so many questions lol I just want to make sure its all okay.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just blow it off and suck it up and out with the baster, no need to move the rock. It will grow again pretty fast though, until you get the nutrients under control.

To help with the porite, would need to know all the water parameters, lighting, and flow .

OP
OP
L

LilReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just blow it off and suck it up and out with the baster, no need to move the rock. It will grow again pretty fast though, until you get the nutrients under control.

To help with the porite, would need to know all the water parameters, lighting, and flow .
I got off most of the bacteria to expose the porite below it for better viewing of its condition. I have a 50L tank.
My carbonate hardness levels are 180ppm, the calcium is 450ppm, nitrate is sitting below 20, and salinity is 1.025. The guide my tank came with said to keep CH around 120-160 and the calcium around 400-450ppm so the CH is a bit high. Should I be testing for anything else?
My light is damaged due to defect so not all of the blue lights turn on so light is pretty reduced whenever they're active while I wait for a replacement. Im unsure of the specific measurement for the white light but its fully functional and the porite has direct overhead lighting. The flow is pretty weak due to the only source being from the tanks pump.
Hopefully the porites condition isn't too bad and potentially be recoverable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 35

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some nice corals around the porite, so I don't doubt the water quality.

Porite has similar requirements as sps corals, basically higher light (250+ PAR) and med/high flow, which seem to be the 2 issue's you are having right now. Try to correct these 2 and hopefully it can improve. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back