algae on the frags?

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is the right place. Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on people or vendors selling frags or colonies with algae on them. I see at lease one post a week between the forums I go on and the frags have byropsis or hair algae on them. I personally stop all sales if I notice it growing because I wouldn't want to spread it to a tank that's clean. Any thoughts? Am I just being over caucious?

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also received a frag from a highly reputable sponsor on this site that had a lot of hair algae on it. I emailed him and asked him and his response

As for the algae question: A small amount of algae is to be expected on any frag plug that's more than a few weeks old and is a sign of a healthy system. If you're really concerned about it and dont have any algae grazing animals, then removal of the polyps from the plug should be fairly simple.

I guess when your dealing with tons of frags and your busy they just dont have the time and effort to send out perfectly cared to frags. I could care less about algae and more concerned with shipping practice. I recently lost 3 of 5 frags because some one thought they would just throw them in a bag and be fine. Still waiting for new replacement frags to get here..

But as far as algae goes I started to remount frags on new plugs before they go in my tank. There is a risk there but I haven't had a problem. I am currently in the process of setting up a qt with proper lighting for frags.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had algae grow on some new frag plugs but if your system is healthy algae should not grow that fast. In my 60g frag tank with a sailfin tang and algae blenny + runing PO4 (phosgaurd) remover 24/7 so i have little to no algae growth. And any thing i add to the tank with algae gets eaten or dies from the lack of nutrients. Also have a basket ball size of cheteo algae

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You'd think with the prices of corals these days that the person or vendor would clean them up for picture taking and before shipping.

OP
OP
S

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like to get some more input on this subject. anyone else? would be nice to get some vendor feedback as well. this isnt ment to call anyone out just to make it clear. this is just for seeing if my practices are viable or if im just being crazy.

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you frag something and put it on a plug, about 2-3 weeks later algea grows on it then after a 2 weeks or 3 it is gone and the coraline algea takes its place. Not too much you can do about that. Just like when you put a new piece of live rock in your tank, it will grow unwanted algea first then the good stuff.
I like to make my frags and give them time before i sell so that does not happen. IMO it drops down the peice and just looks sloppy! As was suggested i would at least scrap it off before pics and before shipping if it did not have the time to take care of itself.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always keep the frag plugs in the tank/sump or what ever so there "live"

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RacinRevo - what type of coral are you talking about?

ccreviston74- The procedure i use is a 50/50 mix of Peroxide and tank water. Just the normal like CVS or Walmart brand of 3% Hydrogen peroxide is what i use. Put the plug in the solution, pull what hair algae off u can. I soak for about 2-3 mins. Put back in tank. The zoa/paly will close up in the dip, and may stay closed for a day or three. But comes back no worries. The plug will amaze you after a few days. So clean and algae free. Im dosing my small tank right now with Peroxide. Troylee on this forum started a thread...Check it out.

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both problems I had where dealing with zoa's. The problems with algae and shipping were from 2 differient vendors. People could learn a lot from planet zoas packing A+ job! Also Joe knows reef is +1!! Great packing

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paul c - after the dip does it come back it time though? does it "clean" the plug so not its like you put in a new plug and the whole process starts over again?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back