OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some bleached boys here 12 hours after peroxide dip. Not going to give up on them but I’ve come to grips with the potential loss. Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Much appreciated and more friendly than the Facebook group feedback I received. So many people were rude and not helpful on that group. So I’m grateful for the community here.

Here’s a few pics under white/blue light. Let me know what you think.

the good news is that tank parameters are stable, I’m soaking peroxide once a day now. Just 2ml to start. We shall see how it goes!

58793FB4-A117-4354-9335-6A88A8DC47F0.jpeg CABAA4E0-8E0F-47CA-B610-9FE6461CA7C5.jpeg AF7A1CBA-B19E-436A-8FB4-FAE06C55331D.jpeg B2E12069-5859-4C2B-8AA9-BF4A37A893C7.jpeg

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, yes. They were all shut, have been for a few days. I noticed that it did remove a bit of algae which is good I think!
After I did a pure peroxide dip for 5 minutes and I put them back in the next morning the frag plugs were pristine. Took em a few days to open back up but they did and they looked great after the fact. There’s a lot of things you can try. Wait a week or so and do an iodine dip. Or get you some reef roids and squirt it on em see if they have a reaction. Zoas are funky man just have to figure em out.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Zoas are still closed and this brown algae has continued, not sure what it is...

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
nitrates 5ppm
1.025 salinity
78 degrees temp

Can someone identify what this algae is? Is it diatoms or something worse to be worried about? Started dosing peroxide (2ml) daily. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6599.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update! Zoanthids still haven't opened. Tried an Iodine dip recently which I'm hoping will help with any issues. Tank is roughly 3 months now. Can anyone tell me if these zoanthids will make it? Seems like 1 frag is nearly gone...turning white. Parameters are SOLID.

Thanks everyone :)

IMG_6629.JPG
IMG_6630.JPG
IMG_6631.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG
IMG_6633.JPG

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say they are dead until they dissolve
Agreed, I believe it's dinoflagellates. Diatoms would be gone by now and the bubbles on the algae still indicate that. I'm going to turn the lights off and start dosing vibrant to start. See if that helps get rid of it. The rocks look covered during the day and then at night it seems to go away.

We will see. I think that's what the issue is.

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I believe it's dinoflagellates. Diatoms would be gone by now and the bubbles on the algae still indicate that. I'm going to turn the lights off and start dosing vibrant to start. See if that helps get rid of it. The rocks look covered during the day and then at night it seems to go away.

We will see. I think that's what the issue is.
I had a small Dino outbreak before I got corals and I just cut the light off for 5 days and let it ride. They were gone and haven’t come back. I suppose I got lucky. Also raised my nutrients up a bit and got a few corals to compete with them.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small Dino outbreak before I got corals and I just cut the light off for 5 days and let it ride. They were gone and haven’t come back. I suppose I got lucky. Also raised my nutrients up a bit and got a few corals to compete with them.

yeah I left the lights off yesterday and am getting vibrant delivered today.I suppose I can leave the lights off for a couple more days.it won’t negatively effect fish/ shrimp will it?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted an update in my build thread. Seems to be a pretty serious dino outbreak. Didn't want to make redundant posts, so I posted the course of action and progress steps in my build.

If anyone has any advice, I'm HAPPY to take it :) .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back