Algae outbreak help!

One and Dunn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why my tank is having this issue I am running the AI prime hds and I have this immense algae outbreak I only have an urchin and 3 crabs and 1 snail and its a 40 gallon and has been up for 2 months and I started with dry rock can someone please help me

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well
1.You definitely need more clean up crew.
2.It's newer so it could be part of cycling in the tank.
3.Send some pictures so we can see what type of algae it is.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for a new tank started with dry rock.

Manually remove as much as possible and play the waiting game.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks like yours can take 8 to 12 months to mature naturally so you will get additional rounds of the "uglies" as different organisms and algaes compete and jostle for dominance. Just keep up with manual removals,, avoid the temptation of quick fix chemicals or gadgets. Just be patient and keep it up. Q naturally achieved mature tank will be much more stable and robust in the long run than any artificially achieved stability with gadgets or miracle bottles.

Keeping it simple and patience usually leads to the highest chance of long term success.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going along with natural methods of control, add a couple of turbo snails. Urchins will help too, but they don't normally survive in newer tanks. You'll need to pinch off the long stuff. Nothing will eat it once it gets long.

Back