Algae Problem..

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first post of my tank I have going right now. I just moved it over to my new place last week. Here's the story on it. It's a 30 gallon 2'x2' and 12" high. 15 gallon Rubbermaid sump that houses a eheim jager heater, sc-65 skimmer, and a Rio hyper flow 700GPH return. Lighting is a 6 bulb T5 fixture with 3 actinics and 3 12000k bulbs. Fixture is 3 months old. I don't like the color so I will be switching to a combo of ATI bulbs, just not sure what combo yet. I like the blue look a lot. Livestock is 2 O. Clownfish, Money Cowrie, random snails and hermits, and a young red mandarin that came from my 75 gallon before I shut it down. The mandarin eats frozen foods and has been living great for about 8 months now in this tank. Very plump, eats like a pig. Also had a harlequin shrimp that decided to wander up to top of tank and get sucked into the powerhead... He is sadly no longer with me. But he may have started my algae problem, I'll get back to that later. Corals are a colony of green star, a Duncan with about 7 heads, a two headed frogspawn, a small torch, a coco worm that has been thriving for 8 months until shedding its crown during the algae outbgeak, he's still alive and is always near the top, just no crown as of now. Two random growths of xenia, a plate coral, and one frag of zoas. All of these corals were doing AMAZING before this algae outbreak. You can see in the pic how pale and shrunken up everything looks. They never used to look like that. So now I will tell the story of the problem. This tank was Crystal clear for about 6 months with the random battles with the ugly stages. But those were never terrible and I was able to easily fight them off and the Corals showed no ill effects at all. Then I got my harlequin shrimp. I would buy starfish and freeze them when I got them. He got one leg every couple weeks or if he seemed like he was on the hunt. I siphoned out the leftover starfish bits every time he ate. But the algae started to come and never let up. First it was red slime covering the rocks and glass. Then it was red slime and hair algae, and then it was just a nasty mess... Lol. I did all I could, multiple weekly 5 gallon water changes, tested daily, cleaned every part of algae I could possibly get... To no avail. I have just recently began to get it somewhat calmed down. It is now just some type of greenish algae on the bottom and rocks. Maybe you guys can id the algae for me.. ammonia was always zero, nitrite was zero, nitrate would sometimes get above 10 but I did so many water changes I never saw it go higher. Temp is always at 78 and is monitored with a reef keeper. I use IO salt, just regular not reef crystals. Rodi water used every time from a Bulk Reef Supply 4 stage filter. I also lost all my coraline algae during this too. Any other info you guys want or test you'd like me to do I will gladly. I'm out of ideas and need some help. I never had an algae problem like this on my 75 gallon which I ran for 3 years before I had to take it down. So I'm new to battling this.. I know it isn't a problem with the water source because I also have a frag system that uses the same RO and it is Crystal clear. Photo period on the tank is 9 hours. Actinics for 9, daylight for 8... Thanks guys

Attachments

• 1404261383442.jpg
    1404261383442.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 209
OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I posted in wrong section I think. If a mod wants to move this to a problem discussion area that's fine.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for flow? I don't see any power heads. Most nuisance algae are caused by excess nutrients. You have to figure out where this is coming from. Overfeeding is the most common cause I have seen. Algae has to have nutrients in order to grow. What additives are you using? Have you tested for phosphates?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Dinos, from that far away shot. Can you get a better shot of the algae thats in strings?

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the pics as I was cleaning stuff off, I do have a powerhead it was just out of tank at the moment. It's a koralia nano I believe the 420 gph. It is blowing water the opposite direction of the return. No additives. I tested for phosphates but the last test has not been too recent. I will test all the basic tests tomorrow morning when I get home and post them. I will also get a pic of the string close up

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how accurate api tests are but the last phosphate test I took read .5 like I said it was not recent tho. Prolly been about 2 weeks since that test

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys a pic of the string and did a phosphate test. Test came out at .25PPM like I said they are API tests so I'm not sure how much everyone on here trusts them but at least its something for you to go on. Thanks for all the help!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if this is what I have, before I dive in to kill it as the article explains... What if what is causing the dinos is something in my tank? Or is it about impossible to narrow down the source of what is causing them

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would it just be easier to transfer all my livestock to my frag tank and just restart this tank? All new water, sand, rock, scrub tank and sump down, vinegar all the equipment?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you can't narrow down the how did it start with Dinos, you only get to killing that stuff.
You could restart the tank. That would be alot easier than trying to deal with tha stuff.

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that worries me about me restarting is that my mandarin has done amazing in this tank and I know it's not always easy to get a mandarin to thrive. I'm wondering if I restarted if he die from everything having to re-establish or if he would still do ok. He eats frozen everyday like a pig so I'm confident in him

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch. Yea, Im thinkin maybe its worth a shot at trying to get rid of the stuff. Hard to find a decent Mandarin.

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive seen a lot of threads of people buying one just for it to starve away. Mine has been plump for almost a year now so I'm hesitant on doing too much change

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you guys about the dinos. I have been reading of other people's cases and I keep seeing that they all say the algae starts to grow over their coral, mine never did this. I also see that theirs only got worse over time, mine is actually getting better slowly. Any thoughts on that

OP
OP
A

audi772

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I've been cleaning these dinos repeatedly all the time.. I have noticed that these are not growing in my sump.. I always thought they were but after a little monkeying around today I noticed the ones that are on the rocks and everything down there are just the dead ones from the display that just landed on everything. I just saw them in the sump and never really bothered to see if they were attached or not... But now my question is why are they growing in the display and not the sump? My sump is lit for 8 hours just like the display... Any ideas?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but continue cleaning them up to keep them from getting anywhere. If yours is dieing out, then thats how you want to keep it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 106 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 112 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.2%
Back