Algae returns after Fluconazole

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my story,

I had a 20-gallon tank overrun with Bryopsis for about a year. All summer I've been systematically removing my live rock and dipping it in hydrogen peroxide. It seemed to help, and then by Bryopsis would grow back. I must have done that 3 times.

On August 20th, I dipped all the live rock in H2O2, ripped down the tank and put everything (except the sandbed) into my new Innovative Marine 30l. I waited a week for things to settle down and then treated with Fluconazole.

It seemed to work great on the remaining strands of the algae. Now two weeks after the end of treatment, my rocks are starting to turn green again (see pictures)!!!!

Filtration:
filter sock
minimax reactor with GFO
eshopps nano skimmer
Carbon bags - I've got a mini max I'll put carbon in on the way -
Custom Cady with sponge and mini refugium
Innovative Marine refugium light

Typical Parameters:
dKH: 8
Ca: 448
Ph: 8.3
Na: 1025
Phosphate: 9ppb

I've also got a Nitrate test coming on Saturday(ish) so I'll retest all my parameters then as well.

I had/have a small diatoms outbreak after treating with Fluconazole.

SO... The million dollar question, how do I get my rocks to stop growing this?! It is driving me absolutely mad!

I really though I had beaten it this time...
algae 2.JPG
algae.JPG

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would think you may have a mini cycle due to the h2o2 rock dip killing off your live rock, it would be like starting back with dead rock and going through the ugly tank stage again. That little bit of green is not a bad thing, just part of keeping a reef tank.

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been that after so may H2O2 dips I set myself back to zero?

But that's what it looked like two weeks after a dip and I'd alwasy get back to here:
IMG_2574.JPG

and get much much worse.

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture doesn't look like bryopsis to me. By dipping I think you would kill off your live rock essentially starting over. Do you have any close up pictures of the algae?

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some older photos from before I dipped and moved to the bigger tank. Sorry for the low quality:
IMG_2577.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let that green stuff grow, throw in the carbon reactor when I get it, and see how things develop?

Those first pictures are what it always looked like before re-growing into a forest...

Last edited:

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been that after so may H2O2 dips I set myself back to zero?

But that's what it looked like two weeks after a dip and I'd alwasy get back to here:
IMG_2574.JPG

and get much much worse.
Was there filaments or the bryopsis ferns in this pic? I can't really see any but I'm on my phone and can't get a good look at it.

The fluconazole took all of the 21 days to really put an end to the bryopsis in my tank, the hair algae disappeared but I think improving my husbandry practices is what keeps the GHA from returning due to lower nutrients. I would keep an eye on things and keep doing the usual husbandry and nutrient maintenance and if the algae gets worse than you at least know it won't be due to high nutrients.

There are other people much more experienced than me who I'm sure will be able to give you more definitive advice but I hope the algae gets better for you and the bryopsis stays away.

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any filaments or ferns in the orignal pic. It's more like shading or coloring on the rocks. The nearest I can describe it is almost like coraline algae but green.

In the past, that seems to be how it starts and the it spreads into a thicker matt that grows out.

Thnaks so much for taking a look!

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my tank my rocks turned almost completely green with a spot of pink coralline here and there worse than what your first pic looks like. The pink coralline eventually grew over the rocks and all is good now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bryopsis and sounds like you killed it off

When I started my tank my rocks turned almost completely green with a spot of pink coralline here and there worse than what your first pic looks like. The pink coralline eventually grew over the rocks and all is good now.
Yup. 100%

Corraline coming in.

Your tank looks great. Good job.

After my flucon. , the nutints were higher , naturally. So a weekly water change for a month did the trick for me.

OP
OP
wlittlefield

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Murr, that's the perfect picture, it really soothes my mind. I'll keep up with the weekly water changes and let things roll a little.

Thanks again!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back