Algae scrubber only reef setup?

Marco9926

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2020
Messages
24
Reaction score
25
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hy friends, I'm from Italy and I'm also new here....
I had a reef tank years ago with protein skimmer , but now I need your help for a new project.
This is my question:
May I start cycle my new reef tank (about 80 lt) with algae scrubber only?
I mean, someone add the ATS later to their systems, but is it possibile to set it from the beginning?
Or is better to wait appearance of Nitrate in my water and then add it?
Thank you!
 
My goal is to set a tank up for some small fishes, soft corals, zohantus, discosomas, xenia.....
 
The way I understand it is that the scrubber is of what I call post cycle nutrient export. I don't think it has anything to do with the actual cycle of the tank because that's done with the bacteria on rocks and substrate. Once the byproducts go through their cycle process the algae scrubber takes those left over undesired nutrients out.
I'm in the process of setting up a DIY algae scrubber. I've been reefing since the late 90s and this is the first time without a skimmer.
 
I think you’re right....I also have the same idea, algae needs something to eat to grow...so maybe I will start scrubbing when Nitrates come out!
Also for me is the first time without skimmer...
I’m going to make my DIY algae scrubber, just a bit larger than needed!
Photos as soon as possible!
 
thanks for your answer,
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new