OP
James spinn

James spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't an exact science because each system is different.

In any case, I would start with a 7 hour light period for the scrubber.
You can reduce the intensity by mounting the light further away from the screen, or putting a shade between the light & the screen
Depending on your in-organic nutrient export filtration overall, once the scrubber screen is growing, & has covered most of the screen, you could loose the chaeto.

Low light intensity is the most important factor, IMO, for establishing algae on the screen. The intensity used for a mature screen is too high in the initial stages (photo-inhibition).
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. !!!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question is my screen to big?
How much do you feed (have you read the cube equivalent/screen size specs ?)
How big is your screen?

I only use a scrubber, filter floss & live rock for filtration. Because of this, I worked out the screen size I needed from the calculation, then doubled it.

OP
OP
James spinn

James spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed (have you read the cube equivalent/screen size specs ?)
How big is your screen?

I only use a scrubber, filter floss & live rock for filtration. Because of this, I worked out the screen size I needed from the calculation, then doubled it.
72 gallon 20 sump about 50 lbs rock 10.5 x 12 inch screen. 1.5 cubes a day .

OP
OP
James spinn

James spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200108_175032.jpg
20200108_175032.jpg

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm
I'm going to add more fish in the near future.
OK, so the size of the system has nil to do with screen/scrubber size. Its a matter of nutrients in verse in-organic nutrients out.
The specs say - for each cube equivalent fed to the tank you need 12 sq inches of screen - illuminated on both sides.
If only one side is illuminated then you'll need a screen twice the recommended size = 24 sq inches.

You feed 1.5 cubes, so you need 18 sq inches illuminated both sides, or 36 sq inches if you're only lighting one side.

Your screen is 10.5 x 12 = 126 sq inches.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY scrubber has a 6x6 inch. And I feed 2-3 cubes a day. With two 24w on either side. And it works great for me
Once you get the screen size approximately right you can then fine tune the level of in-organic nutrient export via the length of the photo-period (7 hours/day, all the way to 24/7 if necessary.

What spectrum of light are you using? Red 660nm ? Whites? I recommend 1w to 1.55w of PUR (photosynthetic USABLE radiation) for every 4 sq inches of screen.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get the screen size approximately right you can then fine tune the level of in-organic nutrient export via the length of the photo-period (7 hours/day, all the way to 24/7 if necessary.

What spectrum of light are you using? Red 660nm ? Whites? I recommend 1w to 1.55w of PUR (photosynthetic USABLE radiation) for every 4 sq inches of screen.
On paperwork it shows 660nm. 630nm. 460nm 2700k and actual 20W+1w

OP
OP
James spinn

James spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, if you're looking to decommission your chaeto fuge this is what I would do.
If the chaeto is growing well I would reduce the chaeto's illumination period by an hour a week, after your scrubber screen has begun to show some growth. (Remember that the chaeto & the algae on the scrubber screen are competing for the same nutrients). Continue reducing it weekly as the scrubber algae increases.

If on the other hand your chaeto isn't growing, & hasn't been growing, possibly dying, stop the illumination of the chaeto completely & concentrate on the scrubber.

Note: Keep the light intensity to the scrubber low at first. Too intense will inhibit the self seeding of the screen. Once a good coverage of algae has established itself, intensity can be increased.
I have a question I have growth now and I'm doing the 7 hr that you said. When should I start adding more time to the scrubber?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question I have growth now and I'm doing the 7 hr that you said. When should I start adding more time to the scrubber?
Your screen has started the process, a biofilm is established & then usually brown diatom covering, which looks like what you have by the photos. Next you'll likely get smiley green growth, & then eventually some decent macro-algae growth, probably ulva.

For more detailed info on breaking in a screen & cleaning scroll down this page to Screen Break-in Period, and also read the following topic Cleaning the screen.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back