OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with fish farmer , chill out on the reef roids for a couple weeks,
i dump a tiny bit of those in my 300 reef once a week and it gets algae, can only imagine 3 feedings a week is fueling your issues.
Thanks! Adding more flow, back off the roids, add a Refugium with chaeto, suck out the cyano, increase water changes to bring down nutrients slowly. Did i miss anything?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some of that algae is cyano, which you could increase flow and blast it with a turkey baster on wc day and suck it out.

I would get off the roids, maybe once a week. I was feeding it in the same frequency as you in my 29 gallon, shot my nitrates from almost zero to 25ppm in a month, phosphates didn't budge for me, I run chaeto and have a lot of coral though. Once I cut back on the roids I got my nutrients back down. I only use it maybe once a week and barely an 1/8 teaspoon for a sumped 29 gallon.
+1 on reducing reef roids.

I only use them once a month or so, most of what the coral need they can get from fish waste and light.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with fish farmer , chill out on the reef roids for a couple weeks,
i dump a tiny bit of those in my 300 reef once a week and it gets algae, can only imagine 3 feedings a week is fueling your issues.
Idk the roids were that bad. Any coral food you suggest?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Adding more flow, back off the roids, add a Refugium with chaeto, suck out the cyano, increase water changes to bring down nutrients slowly. Did i miss anything?
check your replacement water and make sure your at 0 tds (a di cartridge that needs a changing can cause your issues very easily too.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk the roids were that bad. Any coral food you suggest?
they are not bad, they are just really strong and a little goes a long way.
they are good stuff.

my corals get mostly light and side foods from what i feed the fish.. i do reef roids once a week and i put some reef roids in my homemade food mixes.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are not bad, they are just really strong and a little goes a long way.
they are good stuff.

my corals get mostly light and side foods from what i feed the fish.. i do reef roids once a week and i put some reef roids in my homemade food mixes.
Ohhhh! I usually feed my fish frozen brine shrimp or mysis. I have some frozen "coral gumbo" in the freezer but I rarely use it.

I'm going to fall back on the roids though

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The rocks I started with a yr ago. Dried rock I bought from my LFS a yr ago. I only had this problem in the beginning during the ugly and idk what I was doing phase. Since then, corals and have grown and been fragged and traded, so this surprised me but I'm sure it's something I did or over looked.

Nitrates- 25ppm
Phosphate - 2ppm (api test kit)
Cal- 430
Dkh- 9.0
Your phos may be higher than shown with this type of kit. Can you provide pics of tank under white lighting for assessment ?
Seems like the general thing here is reef roids is high nutrients in a bag . What other coral food do you suggest?

I'll add a hang on back Refugium with some chaeto. Would you also suggest running uv temporarily?

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phos may be higher than shown with this type of kit. Can you provide pics of tank under white lighting for assessment ?
Took this just now. Don't mind the corals being retracted. Everyone is asleep. Lights out at 8 est. I guess under the white light it really looks disgusting

38E8A0F7-B371-409A-AF33-D43279EF9735.jpeg 6030B67E-6B47-4A48-831B-34FE711A37F5.jpeg D33112F8-32D4-4D46-B69C-BDAE2E882F29.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Took this just now. Don't mind the corals being retracted. Everyone is asleep. Lights out at 8 est. I guess under the white light it really looks disgusting

38E8A0F7-B371-409A-AF33-D43279EF9735.jpeg 6030B67E-6B47-4A48-831B-34FE711A37F5.jpeg D33112F8-32D4-4D46-B69C-BDAE2E882F29.jpeg
Looks like film algae. I expected worse. This can be corrected by simply reducing white light intensity OR hours of white lighting provided. Adding snails with coral can be tricky but snails that will help and not bother coral are Astrea, cerith, nerite, and ninja star.
Assure Phos levels not elevated.
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like film algae. I expected worse. This can be corrected by simply reducing white light intensity OR hours of white lighting provided. Adding snails with coral can be tricky but snails that will help and not bother coral are Astrea, cerith, nerite, and ninja star.
Assure Phos levels not elevated.
Is tank at or near a window?
I run the whites at 10% for 6hrs of the 13 hrs that the lights are on. Should I just turn them to 0%?

Yea I usually find them slithering all over the corals especially my zoas but they seem fine.

It's LITERALLY next to a window (the side that shows more of the algae) but I have blinds and curtains that stays closed all day.

Someone suggested the reef roids. I did some research and basically see they are great but it's phosphate in a bag and feeding 3x a week can cause this. Also maybe I feed too much of the roids each time . I had hair algae and film algae. The tang took care of most of the hair though. Thoughts?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh! I usually feed my fish frozen brine shrimp or mysis. I have some frozen "coral gumbo" in the freezer but I rarely use it.

I'm going to fall back on the roids though
TDO Chromaboost or Rods would be my suggestions. the brine is like feeding popcorn, the mysis if you breed them and gut load them are good, but alone dont offer alot.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run the whites at 10% for 6hrs of the 13 hrs that the lights are on. Should I just turn them to 0%?

Yea I usually find them slithering all over the corals especially my zoas but they seem fine.

It's LITERALLY next to a window (the side that shows more of the algae) but I have blinds and curtains that stays closed all day.

Someone suggested the reef roids. I did some research and basically see they are great but it's phosphate in a bag and feeding 3x a week can cause this. Also maybe I feed too much of the roids each time . I had hair algae and film algae. The tang took care of most of the hair though. Thoughts?
Whites- Go to 8% and yes roids elevates phos as does TDO pellets and overfeeding. As suspected. . . . Tank at the window which supports this type of algae. UV is very strong and will penetrate shades/blinds/curtains. As many found out, placing a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart on the side facing window will drastically reduce the algae content and growth. If you have a sump or chamber with running water, adding a pouch of chemiPure Blue will reduce the phos and keep it in check. Replace the chemipure every 12-16 weeks.

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Chromaboost or Rods would be my suggestions. the brine is like feeding popcorn, the mysis if you breed them and gut load them are good, but alone dont offer alot.
Ohhh ok got it. I'll check those out! I'll see if one my LFS have it. If not I'll order it and give it a try. My tang and clownfish are ALWAYS ready to eat

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whites- Go to 8% and yes roids elevates phos as does TDO pellets and overfeeding. As suspected. . . . Tank at the window which supports this type of algae. UV is very strong and will penetrate shades/blinds/curtains. As many found out, placing a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart on the side facing window will drastically reduce the algae content and growth. If you have a sump or chamber with running water, adding a pouch of chemiPure Blue will reduce the phos and keep it in check. Replace the chemipure every 12-16 weeks.
I'll try that with the lights down to 8%.

Thanks for the window tips. Never thought of that

I'm currently running fluval clearmax for phosphate in my hob (I don't have a sump...thinking about getting a all in one drop in kit or hob Refugium). Do I still need the chemipure if I have the clearmax?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'll try that with the lights down to 8%.

Thanks for the window tips. Never thought of that

I'm currently running fluval clearmax for phosphate in my hob (I don't have a sump...thinking about getting a all in one drop in kit or hob Refugium). Do I still need the chemipure if I have the clearmax?
As long as ClearMax is managing po4, no need to

OP
OP
N

Novicereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as ClearMax is managing po4, no need to
Yea I got it specifically for that.

I appreciate everyone for their help. I just didn't want my Acros to get ticked off and decide to die so I'm glad I got the help from everyone

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back