• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Algae Turf Scrubber Alternate

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will post more info later on how I found this. But I wanted to share for now. I installed 1 week ago. I didn’t expect any progress yet, but when I checked today I was pleasantly surprised. At a fraction of the price of the well known competition, it was worth the investment to take a chance on this vendor.

EDB79696-CF0A-4821-AF5A-6C25DB25EE4F.jpeg 08ECC453-2661-4783-BE89-7CD459D24E32.jpeg 8CC686ED-E480-44FA-A981-9EA283EE7220.jpeg 11BB0A8B-CFB6-4423-9895-88C9C4D0800F.jpeg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you running this on? I'm currently looking for a scrubber myself. Looks great!

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Just looking at specs I think I will go for the 125. I didn't see does it come with a pump or do you only simply need to plumb it into your sump?

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Just looking at specs I think I will go for the 125. I didn't see does it come with a pump or do you only simply need to plumb it into your sump?
The quality was nicer than I expected. It’s bulky, barely fit, but it works as good as I could have hoped for. I’m very pleased.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm going to give it a try for the AGS-125 given my much smaller 75 gallon tank. I'd been looking for one of these for a hair algae issue.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Long term I wonder how this scrubber will compare to the more known ATS makers. If this works just as well At this price point, I’m going to have to grab one for my build.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of them? Neither had I. But if the “peoples” ATS #1 guy (Turbo Aquatics) is just a guy who knew what he was doing and started his own business, why not give some other unknown a shot. I did want a Turbo L2 Rev 4 but unfortunately the production is on hold. And with the Rev 5 in the works (obviously id want to wait for a better version if it’s in the works) and production for Turbo delayed, it would be months, so looking to alternatives. Apparently, there are not many companies’ who make ATS.

IceCap: was hard to find (sold out), cheap, but poor reviews.

Clearwater: to commercial, way to expensive, hate the add on cost of the covers, do not like the way they represented themselves (on threads I came across here). I considered, but even at the high price, they were sold out in many places, and just so expensive (at that price, I really preferred Turbo).

Santa Monica Filtration: lol. Okay, they are the original (?). I liked the Rain2, simple, seemed like a great price (direct from Santa Monica I could get a two LED light version that was under $300). Since I never tried a ATS, why not! Ok, here we go.

The Rain2. I purchased and received in a timely manner (great). I’m excited, but then, there is damage to the product (cracked bottom plate). Okay, I email, they send me a new bottom plate (asking me to send back the broken piece, ok, that is strange, return the cheap piece of broken plastic, but no problem). As I replace the broken plate (finally inspecting the product more thoroughly), I noticed a cheap piece of white plastic (clip) covering the inlet pipe. Not shown in any product pics, I investigate to find its basically a band aid! Covering a cracked pipe!

So, I email again, and they responded, and I quote: “we put on some poles; it’s not really needed. But it is not supposed to come off, If you’d like to glue it on yourself with pvc cement, I can refund you $20”. I responded questioning why they would put on “some poles” and not others. I pointed out that it was clearly cracked and used to cover the crack. I really wanted to try out the Rain 2 (again, I liked the simplistic design). I asked them to send me a complete replacement (not broken), instead, they refunded me my money. Which I guess is good, but if you cannot sell a product and guarantee not sending out a broken unit, that is a little disappointing.

So, Turbo Aquatics is not accepting orders, IceCap is sold out and probably obsolete and bad reviews, Clearwater is a greedy cooperate conglomerate (which I may have still bought from) but sold out as well, and Santa Monica Filtration can’t guarantee a quality product and didn’t want my money! LOL

Okay, so then I stumbled across Aquatic Guzs and their ATS. No reviews, I couldn’t find much info outside their website. But the specs on the product vs the price was a no brainer. Same as with the UV sterilizer I found: At worst case, I wasted a few hundred on testing new equipment; wouldn’t be the first time. At best case scenario, I found a gem in the wild!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of them? Neither had I. But if the “peoples” ATS #1 guy (Turbo Aquatics) is just a guy who knew what he was doing and started his own business, why not give some other unknown a shot. I did want a Turbo L2 Rev 4 but unfortunately the production is on hold. And with the Rev 5 in the works (obviously id want to wait for a better version if it’s in the works) and production for Turbo delayed, it would be months, so looking to alternatives. Apparently, there are not many companies’ who make ATS.

IceCap: was hard to find (sold out), cheap, but poor reviews.

Clearwater: to commercial, way to expensive, hate the add on cost of the covers, do not like the way they represented themselves (on threads I came across here). I considered, but even at the high price, they were sold out in many places, and just so expensive (at that price, I really preferred Turbo).

Santa Monica Filtration: lol. Okay, they are the original (?). I liked the Rain2, simple, seemed like a great price (direct from Santa Monica I could get a two LED light version that was under $300). Since I never tried a ATS, why not! Ok, here we go.

The Rain2. I purchased and received in a timely manner (great). I’m excited, but then, there is damage to the product (cracked bottom plate). Okay, I email, they send me a new bottom plate (asking me to send back the broken piece, ok, that is strange, return the cheap piece of broken plastic, but no problem). As I replace the broken plate (finally inspecting the product more thoroughly), I noticed a cheap piece of white plastic (clip) covering the inlet pipe. Not shown in any product pics, I investigate to find its basically a band aid! Covering a cracked pipe!

So, I email again, and they responded, and I quote: “we put on some poles; it’s not really needed. But it is not supposed to come off, If you’d like to glue it on yourself with pvc cement, I can refund you $20”. I responded questioning why they would put on “some poles” and not others. I pointed out that it was clearly cracked and used to cover the crack. I really wanted to try out the Rain 2 (again, I liked the simplistic design). I asked them to send me a complete replacement (not broken), instead, they refunded me my money. Which I guess is good, but if you cannot sell a product and guarantee not sending out a broken unit, that is a little disappointing.

So, Turbo Aquatics is not accepting orders, IceCap is sold out and probably obsolete and bad reviews, Clearwater is a greedy cooperate conglomerate (which I may have still bought from) but sold out as well, and Santa Monica Filtration can’t guarantee a quality product and didn’t want my money! LOL

Okay, so then I stumbled across Aquatic Guzs and their ATS. No reviews, I couldn’t find much info outside their website. But the specs on the product vs the price was a no brainer. Same as with the UV sterilizer I found: At worst case, I wasted a few hundred on testing new equipment; wouldn’t be the first time. At best case scenario, I found a gem in the wild!

Thanks for the input! From just eyeballing the unit it seems pretty darn similar to the other “name brands”. And the price point is very much more appealing. Did you say you had some growth within the first week?

Edit: just looked at their site again and it looks like they’re also open to custom orders. Another point in my book

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! From just eyeballing the unit it seems pretty darn similar to the other “name brands”. And the price point is very much more appealing. Did you say you had some growth within the first week?
Yes! Shocking. I will wait another week before I do the first cleaning. But just after a week and seeing growth, I was impressed.

DA4F32AB-5054-4A00-8255-76E7ADD6DE35.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Shocking. I will wait another week before I do the first cleaning. But just after a week and seeing growth, I was impressed.

DA4F32AB-5054-4A00-8255-76E7ADD6DE35.jpeg

Growth in the first week was something one of the big names touted as being what sets their unit apart from all others in the RNN podcast that featured ATS’s. I’m sure the others are good. But If this unit does the same...well I’m sold if so

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dreamcatcherr9 Which pump are you feeding the scrubber with? Mine just came in today! Looking to get it plumbed and operative for tonight.
At first I tried a mag pump, but it run a little to hot. So I switched to a Lifeguard from BRS.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached pump to a Kasa power strip to be able to turn off via app. I also used these quick disconnect for when I need to clean, they work great!!

image.jpg image.jpg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. You just have the 1 disconnect at the level of the intake near the union?

Maybe I'll wait to set mine up and get one of those lifegard pumps sent in. I agree on the power strip. I have one and it's a great way to act as a timer for multiple pieces of gear. I'll go pick up some silicone tubing and PVC parts today to get that started.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back