Algae Turf Scrubber - Alternative to Canvas Mesh

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pearcyman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Nope bad idea. Marine pure blocks and plates are fragile. This will make them hard to mount if using in an a.t.s. they also tend to disintegrate in about 8 months leaving lots of grit behind.
 
Nope bad idea. Marine pure blocks and plates are fragile. This will make them hard to mount if using in an a.t.s. they also tend to disintegrate in about 8 months leaving lots of grit behind.
Thanks Biglew. Appreciate your response. I've never owned / used Marine pure blocks / plates before.

in lieu of that, could you use a epoxy sand grains onto a piece of acrylic to provide the rough surface?
 
I used the internal base plate of an electrical junction box. It is quite heavy duty so should be ok to scrapped down once the algae starts growing and its easy to cut to size with an dremmel. I think it works in theory and hopefully algae will grow on it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 93
U want knitting mesh. Plastic. Ect. Than u use a holes away or something sharp and scratch and ruff up the surface area a bit.
Hths u
D

I used the internal base plate of an electrical junction box. It is quite heavy duty so should be ok to scrapped down once the algae starts growing and its easy to cut to size with an dremmel. I think it works in theory and hopefully algae will grow on it.
+1 to either one of these. The knitting mesh can be found at most decent full range hobby places. Hobby lobby, Micheales, Joanns, etc.
 
There really isn't an easy and readily available alternative to the plastic canvas. It's simple, it's cheap, and it works.

I add a mortar layer to mine, but that's not necessary - it's a sacrificial layer that helps get the screen to mature a bit faster.

I've beat my head into the wall trying to come up with alternatives, but not really for the DIY user so much as for production purposes. Making one or two screens by roughing them up is one thing...making 10, 20, 30...that's another. It makes my right arm too strong and that's affecting my golf swing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new