Algea in UV sterilizer return line?

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm running my UV for algea control/diatom bloom, why would I be getting a build up of algea/diatoms in my UV return line?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm running my UV for algea control/diatom bloom, why would I be getting a build up of algea/diatoms in my UV return line?
Does it receive normal light? I assume the line is transparent, or you wouldn’t know about it, lol

OP
OP
RBarth

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yes it's clear. It does get light. It's running on an AIO. I just put a new line on and it's legit brown now after a few weeks. Ordered some black vinyl cuz I thought about the light thing but then I can't see when it needs changing. I guess in my mind I was thinking that constant water moving thru a uv wouldn't algea up like that???

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Lol. Yes it's clear. It does get light. It's running on an AIO. I just put a new line on and it's legit brown now after a few weeks. Ordered some black vinyl cuz I thought about the light thing but then I can't see when it needs changing. I guess in my mind I was thinking that constant water moving thru a uv wouldn't algea up like that???
if the line is getting light, it will continuously get algae. if the line is blacked out algae will not grow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back