Algea reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger, looking to get the new reactor for my 120g the smaller one is rated for my size tank,I was wondering would there be any benifit in getting the bigger version?I understand that there are many variables involved,but I'm thinking the more macro the better,what do you say?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that is not so easy to answer. I would generally agree but I would also generally caution that I would see algaes as a useful weapon for combating nutrients, but not a total solution. For example with chaeto you can have plenty of nitrate and phosphate and not enough iron. Then you have to ask is dosing iron going to do a lot to drop nitrate and phosphate and would it not be cheaper to dose vodka or do a water change or run GFO. For the most part I see algaes as a help, more than anything they help raise pH and give pods a home to reproduce in and while more may be better, I would say the smaller one would slow or hold the line on nutrient levels if everything went right, the bigger one could possibly drop it, but then you could get to where the nutrients are depleted and it crashes and likely you would have to dose an iron supplement. On my 265 I plan to add the big one as soon as it is available but I am more interested in pH and pods, I generally have been able to hold the line on nutrients with vodka and modest water changes and occasional GFO use.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9.2 by 7.7 by 16.6, I suspect Marine Depot may have the dimensions from the earlier prototype version and the final production version has some minor diffences in the fittings that affect dimensions slightly.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for hijacking the thread, have you tested the reactor with other algae like caulerpa?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9.2 by 7.7 by 16.6, I suspect Marine Depot may have the dimensions from the earlier prototype version and the final production version has some minor diffences in the fittings that affect dimensions slightly.
Got it,thank you.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have tried a few other plants including Najas in freshwater. Yes, it will work, but caulerpa is generally less efficient and nutrient reduction compared to chaeto, chaeto is typically regarded as the most export for the space needed in macro algaes.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, have you tested the reactor with other algae like caulerpa?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger ,I have the unit coming Thursday,do I adjust the pump so I have a gentle turning of the chaeto ?also could you suggest a photo period to start?I'll have a softball size piece of chaeto to start,I'm assuming I should do a reverse light cycle.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, generally the pump can start at the lowest speed, the main pitfalls people encounter is kinked hose and a very loose ball of chaeto that falls apart. Start with a baseball sized dense clump, that would be the ideal. If it doesnt spin, you can turn it slightly but mostly give it time, as it grows and gets more dense it will catch more flow and start to spin.

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger i just purchased this reactor from brs . The question i have is how do you prevent loose cheato going back into the display

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back