Alk and magnesium being weird.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 29, 2021
Messages
630
Reaction score
259
Location
Tom's River
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause quite a big DKH drop and a raise in magnesium? The last time I dosed was a week ago, and it was Sodium bicarbonate for the alkalinity. I tested alk 2x to make sure...same result. I'm confused and worried.
16270928415846756867734253563255.jpg
 
Well, one thing that's not often considered is there is dissolution of calceraous substrates by endoliths and likely other stuff like biofilms that contribute to the alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Add in dosing on your part and changes in consumption by the animals in your system using it different overall consumption rates of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium can occur. I'd just try to keep them in acceptable ranges (not at a specific number) and expect some fluctuation to happen.
 
Well, one thing that's not often considered is there is dissolution of calceraous substrates by endoliths and likely other stuff like biofilms that contribute to the alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Add in dosing on your part and changes in consumption by the animals in your system using it different overall consumption rates of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium can occur. I'd just try to keep them in acceptable ranges (not at a specific number) and expect some fluctuation to happen.
Thank you!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new