Alk and magnesium being weird.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause quite a big DKH drop and a raise in magnesium? The last time I dosed was a week ago, and it was Sodium bicarbonate for the alkalinity. I tested alk 2x to make sure...same result. I'm confused and worried.
16270928415846756867734253563255.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one thing that's not often considered is there is dissolution of calceraous substrates by endoliths and likely other stuff like biofilms that contribute to the alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Add in dosing on your part and changes in consumption by the animals in your system using it different overall consumption rates of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium can occur. I'd just try to keep them in acceptable ranges (not at a specific number) and expect some fluctuation to happen.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, one thing that's not often considered is there is dissolution of calceraous substrates by endoliths and likely other stuff like biofilms that contribute to the alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Add in dosing on your part and changes in consumption by the animals in your system using it different overall consumption rates of alkalinity, calcium, magnesium can occur. I'd just try to keep them in acceptable ranges (not at a specific number) and expect some fluctuation to happen.
Thank you!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back