Alk,Calcium and Magnesium issue

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but make sure you add Magnesium first. This will help prevent precipitation when you add alkalinity.

Well the OP should really be adding a balanced additive since all his numbers are low. As crab mentioned, even the BRS “2 part” really has all three alk, cal and mag. All three need to be dosed together and should be doses in equal quantities.

But as bdare points out, definitely don’t just add an alk supplement with those low numbers... that wouldn’t be a good idea. But if you dose all three together you can bring them all up together slowly and will keep things in balance as you do.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well you can bring that up to 1.026 first. Then recheck numbers and dose from there.

Also, if you are using a refractometer, make sure it’s properly calibrated with a seawater calibration solution. You’ll want to use the ppt side of the scale and aim for 35ppt. Often times refractometers are made for brine and can report higher salinity than you actually have if you are calibrating with ro/di.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how do you know? Even so, raising the salinity to 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) will boost calcium and magnesium.

one reason I ask is the magnesium would be very slow to get appreciably low.

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can bring that up to 1.026 first. Then recheck numbers and dose from there.

Also, if you are using a refractometer, make sure it’s properly calibrated with a seawater calibration solution. You’ll want to use the ppt side of the scale and aim for 35ppt. Often times refractometers are made for brine and can report higher salinity than you actually have if you are calibrating with ro/di.
Yes im using a refractometer and i do recal before every test.. my last water change was at 1.025

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back