Alk spiked when dosing seachem calcium

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I dosed seachem calcium and somehow my alk spiked from 9.2 to 10.2 in 5 minutes or less. Why would that happen? Alk was supposed to go down when dosing cal. This spiked caused all my corals (LPs and mushrooms) to close up very tightly. I’m now worried I may lose some or all cause of this. Is there a chance for my corals?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Seachem calcium?

Seachem has a very poor understanding of their own products. One of them (Seachem reef Calcium) does add alkalinity despite them not mentioning it. I told them this many years ago, and they ignore reality.

Pitiful, really, that they keep raking in money from reefers and do not serve them with suitable products.

You are better off using brands that understand chemistry, such as ESV and Tropic Marin.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm surprised that such an alk increase would cause coral deaths, or raise alk quite so fast.

How much did you add (in ppm calcium)?

Maybe the product bottle was adulterated, or mispackaged.

In general, dosing calcium causes no rapid change in alk (up or down) when dosing a suitable calcium supplement.

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Seachem calcium?

Seachem has a very poor understanding of their own products. One of them (Seachem reef Calcium) does add alkalinity despite them not mentioning it. I told them this many years ago, and they ignore reality.

Pitiful, really, that they keep raking in money from reefers and do not serve them with suitable products.

You are better off using brands that understand chemistry, such as ESV and Tropic Marin.
Yea that one. No mention of it at all. Just says that it won’t drop alkalinity.

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'm surprised that such an alk increase would cause coral deaths, or raise alk quite so fast.

How much did you add (in ppm calcium)?

Maybe the product bottle was adulterated, or mispackaged.

In general, dosing calcium causes no rapid change in alk (up or down) when dosing a suitable calcium supplement.
I calculated to add 25 ppm worth. The bottle must have been more concentrated though cause I got a 35 ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that one. No mention of it at all. Just says that it won’t drop alkalinity.

Of course it won't. lol

Seachem claims the polygluconate is metabolized, but they fail to remember (even after I told them) that metabolism of anionic organics boosts alkalinity. That is how Tropic Marin All for Reef (calcium formate) works, and also Salifert All In One (calcium acetate).

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how long it will take the polygluconate to be metabolized (5 min seems too short), but the polygluconate in that 25 ppm of calcium is enough to boost alk by 3.7 dKH.
It only went up 1 dKH and my corals all shut tightly. Two tests were used (Hanna and salifert) both gave same result. I’m definitely going to check again today.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only went up 1 dKH and my corals all shut tightly. Two tests were used (Hanna and salifert) both gave same result. I’m definitely going to check again today.

It may take days for all the alk to show on a kit as it needs to be metabolized first to see it all.

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take days for all the alk to show on a kit as it needs to be metabolized first to see it all.
I dose all for reef and that doesn’t take long to show up. It’s a small tank too. I hope I don’t get a huge spike. It’s dropped from 10.2 to 9.9 so I’ll let it drop slowly back to where it was and Continue to monitor

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose all for reef and that doesn’t take long to show up. It’s a small tank too. I hope I don’t get a huge spike. It’s dropped from 10.2 to 9.9 so I’ll let it drop slowly back to where it was and Continue to monitor

It's a little bit of a complicated situation. With just polygluconate added to water, the alk will appear to rise a bit when its first added, and more will come later for whatever fraction of it is metabolized to bicarbonate.

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I dosed seachem calcium and somehow my alk spiked from 9.2 to 10.2 in 5 minutes or less. Why would that happen? Alk was supposed to go down when dosing cal. This spiked caused all my corals (LPs and mushrooms) to close up very tightly. I’m now worried I may lose some or all cause of this. Is there a chance for my corals?
I like the fluval brand of calcium. That one doesn't raise the ALK

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little bit of a complicated situation. With just polygluconate added to water, the alk will appear to rise a bit when its first added, and more will come later for whatever fraction of it is metabolized to bicarbonate.
Yea that’s why I lowered my daily dose to allow it to drop and rise without hopefully spiking it. Trying to slow it down. From what I’ve seen from my tank bicarbonate gets metabolized within a day or so

OP
OP
P

Paul24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my alk spiked up from 9.9 to 11 and my tank is super cloudy. No death from what I can tell.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back