Alk Swing @ Night

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've recently developed a way to do semi-continuous alkalinity monitoring of my tank, and get that data input into my Apex controller.

Here is a graph of the total alkalinity of my 210 gallon tank over two days' time. I include my Amp_3 data, too, because that shows the photoperiod of the tank. As a reminder: I currently dose RHF 2-Part Recipe #1, 110 mL each day, in 1 mL increments spread evenly over the 24 hours in each day.

Isn't the strong correlation between the photoperiod and the Alk demand interesting? Makes me want to start controlling the dosing based on the Alkalinity monitor input, which would be really easy to do, now that my Apex has real-time alkalinity data to use.

Diurnal Alkalinity Swing - Two Full Days.png

Last edited:

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't science just wonderful!

Would you give us a peek at the level of performance of what your method offers, please, without giving up anything that you need to protect as proprietary?

What does semi-continuously mean? Is it periodic sampling?
Is there a probe in the water continuously or semi-continuously?

Is your method hands free?.
Can it be done unattended?

Are you planning on licensing your method or your technology? Is there anything we can do to help you?

Last edited:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you give us a peek at the level of performance of what your method offers, please, without giving up anything that you need to protect as proprietary?

I thought that was what I just did. What else would you like to know about the performance that that chart doesn't tell you?

Are you planning on licensing your method or your technology? Is there anything we can do to help you?

I sure hope I am able to sell the IP behind this. What you can do to help is to go to your favorite aquarium equipment / controller manufacturer and demand that they negotiate with me!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using diluted limewater in my ATO has eliminated the problem of alk going too low at night. The intermittent smaller doses has done the trick.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was what I just did. What else would you like to know about the performance that that chart doesn't tell you?
Touché, the chart is great! What kind of accuracy should your method provide and what kind of repeatability. How much of an integration time interval is required, if any? Does the method provide a continuous readout?
I sure hope I am able to sell the IP behind this. What you can do to help is to go to your favorite aquarium equipment / controller manufacturer and demand that they negotiate with me!
I will gladly start with a post on the Neptune Systems forum if I have your go ahead. Have you begun talks with anyone, yet?
fab

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim,
This is so interesting. It also means that since I test alk in the morning, I am reading the peak. The best time may be at lights out. But based on my consumption I can make a useful guess at what my swing may be.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an apex and BRS doser to spread my doses out and still there are fluctuations depending on the time of day. I would say that as long as your corals seem happy and the Alk doesn't swing too dramatically then you are probably ok; sometimes I create more problems by tinkering too much:)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding accuracy, find below the results of a recent calibration test I did. I created four aqueous standards with 2.5, 3.0, 3,5, and 4.0 meq/L alkalinity. I used the average of four tests of both the 2.5 and the 4.0 standards to adjust the slope and bias of the device, and then ran 10 replicates of each of the four standards. The numbers above and to the left of each set of data points are the mean and uncertainty (2 * SD) of that set of data points, and the numbers below and to the right are the individual values for each set of 10 controls.

Each analysis takes appx. 5 minutes to complete. The device outputs a signal that emulates a pH probe, e.g., if the result is an alkalinity of 8.12 dKH, then the device outputs a signal with the same voltage a pH probe would have if the pH was 8.12. It outputs the signal for the last test performed, until the next test is done. Tests can be scheduled from as frequently as every 5 minutes (uses a lot of reagent, though), to once an hour, once a day -- whatever the user wants.

Calibration%20Verification_zpsojcgpn7l.png

Last edited:

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fab, I just saw your edits above.

Yes, it is automatic and unattended. It samples periodically. It uses a single reagent, and needs access to RO/DI, and either a drain or a waste bucket/container that is emptied as needed. The sample tube stays in the tank/sump.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Jim. Hope it turns out to be a big hit

Sorry to high jack, but since you are talking to companies you may want to talk to Red Sea. Your potassium test kit mod really helps to see the endpoint a lot better

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Jim. Hope it turns out to be a big hit

Sorry to high jack, but since you are talking to companies you may want to talk to Red Sea. Your potassium test kit mod really helps to see the endpoint a lot better
Thank you. I'm glad you like it!

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your method, device, be extendable to other reagents and tests?
Perhaps, eventually. I've experimented with both Ca and Mg methods with this hardware, but have not developed refined, workable methods yet. I have decided to focus on alkalinity only for this incarnation.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back