Alk swingn at WC... need to test alk almost everyday (ocd) should i change salt

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No graphs here as I have no controllers. Also with the exception of kalk being dripped in one tank all dosing is done manually. I'm considering trying a doser for alk on one tank but have mixed feelings for reasons you describe above. I guess a failure not to dose would be better than an overdose but still a failure.
I've kicked around controllers but to be honest I don't think I have the smarts to use one correctly. Couple that with me having the patience of a gnat and it probably wouldn't end well :zany-face:
EDIT: I guess I did say I watch the corals for signs of problems. Probably should retract that lol. We all know by the time sticks tell us something is wrong it may very well be too late. With all daily dosing being done manually and nothing to fail but me I'm comfortable with weekly testing.
i totally get it, we're in the same boat! I never had controllers and dosers, but I have evolved a little bit at a time and it has just made things a little easier I dose 155-160ml of sodium carbonate a day and now dose 1800ml of saturated kalk over night in a 130g average tank sometimes the dosing amounts go up and down from week to week month to month. but I've noticed a difference with using a doser and have really seen the impact of steady daily dosing with the alkalinity monitor, I still make adjustments my self and double check measurements but it's not as hard as it seems before you get into it.

you should try it this year! this is the year you can free up some of your time with automated dosing. just adding a dosing system you can dial it in with just a few days you never know you might like it that's what happened for me when I first went to dosing pumps plus I fill reagents twice a month and basically free up lots of time and eliminate me forgetting if I dosed or how much, that definitely happened alot! :) there's issues with pumps too but I think the risk is minimized with quality equipment and careful monitoring by me.

but on the other hand, don't mess with success

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should try it this year! this is the year you can free up some of your time with automated dosing. just adding a dosing system you can dial it in with just a few days you never know you might like it that's what happened for me when I first went to dosing pumps plus I fill reagents twice a month and basically free up lots of time and eliminate me forgetting if I dosed or how much, that definitely happened alot! :) there's issues with pumps too but I think the risk is minimized with quality equipment and careful monitoring by me.
My Gal wants to start taking some trips and as long as the tanks aren't automated I don't have to go lol but I am slowly moving in that direction.
I have gotten my oldest tank somewhat automated just by dripping the kalk and no longer using 2 part. I use a 32g brute as kalk container and another for ato so I could go a while on that one except socks needing changed but I really don't worry about those as I never change them untill they're overflowing anyway.
I'm installing a reefmat today on another tank and have a single kamoer doser I may use for a trial run dosing alk. Baby steps I guess. Still have a 3rd tank tho with nothing automated but ato lol. If I had only one tank I would probably jump in head first but every time I get rid of one tank I end up with a bigger one or better yet two to replace it. Im so screwed if I get sick or hurt as there are no local people to help out and my Gal won't do anything but look at stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patx

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was testing to find consommation (tank ain't full of stock and consommation is low)
zoanthid and one forest fire that close up at each WC...

ALK was 6,8... 7,5ish in the past month etc...
So i give a go to AFR...

TOTAL VOLUME : around 55G...
Starting dose... 10ml/dag AFR... ( First step in graph)
Reduce to 6ml/day... meh...
Now im at 4ml/day.... and alk is stable if i don't take the WC in consideration.

I will reduce again AFR for some days... to stop the rising don't want to reach 10...11dkh it's not suitable for my need (i think) ...

i don't care wich brand of salt i use...
Was whit IO 10years ago, then RC for some time and before my dyno/cyano demotivation RSCP... i never care of alk, ca and mg before...
But now i trying to "care more" and do thing accordingly...

So, because i use AFR...
I don't want a salt too rich...ca,mg,kh and others elements etc...
I will probably go whit aquaforest sea salt... and see what alk he give me, stick with it...and dose AFR for the consommation.

Still have RC for about a month... stay tune :smiling-face:
Thk all ;)

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was testing to find consommation (tank ain't full of stock and consommation is low)
zoanthid and one forest fire that close up at each WC...

ALK was 6,8... 7,5ish in the past month etc...
So i give a go to AFR...

TOTAL VOLUME : around 55G...
Starting dose... 10ml/dag AFR... ( First step in graph)
Reduce to 6ml/day... meh...
Now im at 4ml/day.... and alk is stable if i don't take the WC in consideration.

I will reduce again AFR for some days... to stop the rising don't want to reach 10...11dkh it's not suitable for my need (i think) ...

i don't care wich brand of salt i use...
Was whit IO 10years ago, then RC for some time and before my dyno/cyano demotivation RSCP... i never care of alk, ca and mg before...
But now i trying to "care more" and do thing accordingly...

So, because i use AFR...
I don't want a salt too rich...ca,mg,kh and others elements etc...
I will probably go whit aquaforest sea salt... and see what alk he give me, stick with it...and dose AFR for the consommation.

Still have RC for about a month... stay tune :smiling-face:
Thk all ;)
Get it down towards 2.5ml since it’s not fully stocked and do dose in small increments

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could ditch the AFR " not really sure while your dosing it to begin with" and continue your normal maintenance while testing your Mag every other day. If your Mag is low and starts to creep so will your alk in the opposite direction. Simplest way I could put it. Good chance it's not the salt at all.

OP
OP
Patx

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could ditch the AFR " not really sure while your dosing it to begin with" and continue your normal maintenance while testing your Mag every other day. If your Mag is low and starts to creep so will your alk in the opposite direction. Simplest way I could put it. Good chance it's not the salt at all.
Before dosing... alk can go down easy to around 6,4...

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before dosing... alk can go down easy to around 6,4...
bf8733ea-3eb3-4b61-b9e3-ba1d2d4c8ce4.gif
What's your calcium and Magnesium at?

ChefCab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is a quantum phenomenon, it only changes value when you measure it. Therefore the best way to keep Alk stable is to never measure it!
This is the "Schrödinger's cat" method. Very progressive.

OP
OP
Patx

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stop dosing AFR some day ago...
i did some test today.
Sg: 1.026 (tp hydrometer)
Alk 9.3 (hanna)
No3: 33ppm (hanna)
Po4: 0.03 (hanna)
Mg: 1320 (salifert)
*Ca: 490 (salifert) 2x

I Needed to close the refugium from my system 3 day ago... (some dyno/cyano in cheato... my fault)
And when i see my alk result (consomation rate down) i got the feeling that my halimeda/caulerpa/cheato are my main consumer lol.

When i see my Ca...its just confirm that i need a salt in the "low range".

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when i see my alk result (consomation rate down) i got the feeling that my halimeda/caulerpa/cheato are my main consumer lol.
FWIW, caulerpa and chaeto have no effect on alkalinity, unless you count raising alk by consuming nitrate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, good to know.
I thought that the "macroalgae" had to get a little "C" everywhere.

They use the C for photosynthesis and growth, but not the alk.

OP
OP
Patx

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some update... so i stop AFR oct.28...
As you can see, 10% WC whit ioRC at alk ~13dKH can't keep up.
(I don't really know where the alk is going but...)
Screenshot_20231111_222851_AquaticLog.jpg

So i choose a salt whit a "standard alk" and will dose AFR to keep it where it sit.

Screenshot_20231111_223844_Firefox.jpg

7,8dKH at 33ppt....
i should be ok at 35ppt
(can't really tell for now but ... ~8,3 i suppose)
Ca and Mg are on the low side... hmm ?

OP
OP
Patx

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY on track! :)
Salt mix at : sg : 1.026 = alk 8,2
Consommation about 0,1dkh/day
Dosing AFR ~1ML/DAY ...

Tank Alk: stable around 8,2-8.0.
Ca: 440
Mg: 1275

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back