Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI shows 8.39

Trident shows 8.75

Hanna 161 which comes to 9.0ish

Age old question people ask all the time. what the heck. Really irritating, but I'll just keep my tank at the 8.75 since that's what I'm currently at anyway and stability matters more.

Who else gets this crap when they double check with a lab result?

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a lab and there is no way to know an exact number, no matter how you test - its always still just a best guess. Even margins of error don't really mean plus or minus that amount, they simply mean that there is a 99% chance that it should fall somewhere in that range. Companies are also known to overestimate how accurate tests really are. Example - every time the distance between the Earth and the Sun has been measured, the new results margin of error has rarely (if ever) overlapped with the previous results margin of error.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't against a lab test but I currently have 2 calcium tests (one red sea and the other a trident) and they are off by 100ppm.
Your 3 tests aren't too far off from one another. I'd personally pick the trident and just try to keep it stable. Stability is more important than what level you decide to run anyway.

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in a lab and there is no way to know an exact number, no matter how you test - its always still just a best guess. Even margins of error don't really mean plus or minus that amount, they simply mean that there is a 99% chance that it should fall somewhere in that range. Companies are also known to overestimate how accurate tests really are. Example - every time the distance between the Earth and the Sun has been measured, the new results margin of error has rarely (if ever) overlapped with the previous results margin of error.
It's crazy how that works. Especially if you have to calculate how to land on the moon! scary!

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't against a lab test but I currently have 2 calcium tests (one red sea and the other a trident) and they are off by 100ppm.
Your 3 tests aren't too far off from one another. I'd personally pick the trident and just try to keep it stable. Stability is more important than what level you decide to run anyway.
Absolutely, it just hits my OSD. :)

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI shows 8.39

Trident shows 8.75

Hanna 161 which comes to 9.0ish

Age old question people ask all the time. what the heck. Really irritating, but I'll just keep my tank at the 8.75 since that's what I'm currently at anyway and stability matters more.

Who else gets this crap when they double check with a lab result?
I'm surprised they're that close together. AmroAzul (youtubber) sent out 3 samples to 3 different ICP companies w/completely different results.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there will always be a margin of error with these tests. Personally, I have found most accuracy when testing against them all when testing with red sea - kali

Back