Alkalinity 11dkh

stephen95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone just wanted some guidance on my tank so far. It’s a 130 litre Aqua nano 80 tank. Currently the tank is 2 months old. I’ve been testing my water parameters regularly and the alkalinity has been reading about 11 dkh! Currently have 5 fish and a few zoa’s, lps in the tank. What is the reasoning for the alk reading I’m getting is it due to the tank been fairly new. Should I worry regarding this reading or just keep to the basics of water changes etc. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone just wanted some guidance on my tank so far. It’s a 130 litre Aqua nano 80 tank. Currently the tank is 2 months old. I’ve been testing my water parameters regularly and the alkalinity has been reading about 11 dkh! Currently have 5 fish and a few zoa’s, lps in the tank. What is the reasoning for the alk reading I’m getting is it due to the tank been fairly new. Should I worry regarding this reading or just keep to the basics of water changes etc. Thanks.
Likely to do with your salt mix
Next time you make a batch, test the new water and see what the level is?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to keep a couple of bags of regular ol instant ocean around to do a water change with if my alk started creeping up too much. Alot of the reef specific salts tend to have reeeeeally high Alks.

That being said, I've ran tanks with alk that high and gotten excellent growth. Just gotta keep the nutrients up a little bit. I currently have my system running at like 10.3 which ain't too far off.

OP
OP
S

stephen95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll double check tommorow. Currently have been buying water from LFS so very well could be the reason. I have not been making my own water yet as I haven’t bought an RODI system. Is there any complications running the tank at 11dkh?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll double check tommorow. Currently have been buying water from LFS so very well could be the reason. I have not been making my own water yet as I haven’t bought an RODI system. Is there any complications running the tank at 11dkh?
Mine runs up at 11.5 to 12 , but that's often the case with Reef Crystals salt. Can be complications at times but also depends on your other parameters. Calcium, Nitrates being 2 IMO. As others mentioned find out what that salt is they are selling pre mixed....

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running low nutrients, you run the risk of alk burn on the coral. Also, you run the risk of calcium carbonate precipitating out and basically concreting the sand.

But like I said earlier, I used to run a system at 11+ dKh with no problems. Just rapid growth. You need extra nutrients to achieve this, though.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This too, good point, my sand does get a little crunchy at times.
I too think it is a good point..but more because of sps tip burn. I have been told that higher alks with lower nutrients causes the tips to burn because the skeleton grows faster than the fleshy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back