Alkalinity Dosing Line Crusting Over

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a nano tank that has had a continuous problem with the alkalinity line getting crusted over which causes significant alk swings. Are there any tips or tricks to stop it from accumulating? I have tried doing hourly dosing and even using a hanna alkalinity syringe tip but it still clogs after 24-36 hours. This tank is doing great but I know my growth is impacted when I do a water change and have alk of 8.5 and then come back a few days later to 6.8 dkh.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! You didn't mention were the line was in relationship to the water, and I was going to suggest that if it's submerged, raise it up out of the water to keep it from crusting up. That said, every month or so I do have to pinch the tubing end of mine to make sure it's not crusted over. Maybe I should try submerging mine?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! You didn't mention were the line was in relationship to the water, and I was going to suggest that if it's submerged, raise it up out of the water to keep it from crusting up. That said, every month or so I do have to pinch the tubing end of mine to make sure it's not crusted over. Maybe I should try submerging mine?
Perhaps I’m just a worrier, but I would always maintain a syphon break of some sort. Putting the dosing line in tank water feels all wrong.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I’m just a worrier, but I would always maintain a syphon break of some sort. Putting the dosing line in tank water feels all wrong.
If the pump is good then it will not be a problem.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add an airline T to your alkalinity line just above the water level. Attach a line to the side of the T and connect that to a doser which draws off your RODI reservoir. Program your doser such that 1 minute after dosing alkalinity, you dose 10 cc of RODI through the T connector. This will flush the tip of your alkalinity line and prevent buildup. I use a 4 head Jebao doser which work great for alkalinity, RODI, calcium, and magnesium.

In addition, get some food safe silicone lubricant from Amazon and dip the tip of your alkalinity line in it. The hydrophobic silicone lubricant will prevent deposit formation.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone tubing does not stop encrustation. Silicone lubricant and flush systems (as above) will decrease it significantly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just check it periodically need clean as needed.

Don't blow air on it. Keep the air humid, if possible.

Putting it underwater often causes problems with precipitation in the tubing as calcium creeps into it, and can be a siphon (in or out of the tank). Siphon may seem unlikely, but can lead to a catastrophe if it does happen.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so the T airline trick, but just have my ATO go on the other side. Flushes the line evertime the ATO goes off.

The positive pressure from the pinch rollers on the doser, doesn't allow the RO/DI to go into the dosing tube, but will wash the tip down so it doesn't get crusted.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back