Alkalinity drop

Is there a way to test the alk in AFR to verify?

Not in any simple way. One could measure the formate with acid in a pH titration.
 
Not in any simple way. One could measure the formate with acid in a pH titration.
Couldn't someone just add a precice amount of afr to a precise amount of saltwater and expect a certain increase, within a given timframe?
 
Couldn't someone just add a precice amount of afr to a precise amount of saltwater and expect a certain increase, within a given timframe?

Yes, one could do a time course of measurements over time and see where it stabilizes, but I do not know how long that might take in a nonreef setting. Might be an extended period to get enough of the right bacteria present to convert it. Like how long it takes to cycle a tank for ammonia.
 
Yes, one could do a time course of measurements over time and see where it stabilizes, but I do not know how long that might take in a nonreef setting. Might be an extended period to get enough of the right bacteria present to convert it. Like how long it takes to cycle a tank for ammonia.
What if said person uses tank water?
 
Yes, one could do a time course of measurements over time and see where it stabilizes, but I do not know how long that might take in a nonreef setting. Might be an extended period to get enough of the right bacteria present to convert it. Like how long it takes to cycle a tank for ammonia.

What if said person uses tank water?
Or would they need to use the whole functioning tank?
 
There is no alk reduction from nitrate reduction. It raises alk.
The context I was referring to earlier, sulfur denitrification reduced alkalinity (and pH). I’ve observed it my tank. For the OP doing carbon dosing, the opposite is true but unlikely to notice anything.
 
The context I was referring to earlier, sulfur denitrification reduced alkalinity (and pH). I’ve observed it my tank. For the OP doing carbon dosing, the opposite is true but unlikely to notice anything.

Yes, I do agree that sulfur denitrator are a big sink for alk. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new