Alkalinity Dropping Steadily Despite Dosing

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you're the main reason we have reefers with tanks with sky high calcium and low alk.

You can't even think past the horse **** pormoted by the two part industry,

Again. I don't use 2-part...I'm currently using Kalkwasser and AFR.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, calcium and alk aren't fixed in calcifiying corals either. Under low PH conditions corals adapt to higher levels of calcite production and there's a higher ratio of carbonate consumption vs calcium. That does have a scientific basis.

You mean because calcite can have a little more magnesium in it than aragonite typically does?

That is why I always quote a ratio of 18-20 ppm calcium per 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alk, to account for variable incorporation of magnesium.

The ratio doesn't skew appreciably more than that.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean because calcite can have a little more magnesium in it than aragonite typically does?

That is why I always quote a ratio of 18-20 ppm calcium per 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) of alk, to account for variable incorporation of magnesium.

The ratio doesn't skew appreciably more than that.

...and this is why most people target balanced dosing. It's pretty close...and yes over longer periods of time will need to make corrections based on their actual tanks consumption.

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re having noticeable coralline growth, that’s your most likely culprit. I just read great reviews here on R2R for this All-For-Reef that takes the hassle out of dosing and is priced better that most alternatives.
I am seeing a huge surge in coralline growth. It’s nearly impossible to keep it off the glass every 2-3 days. I thought this was healthy!?

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me
What is the 25ml adding to the tank in terms of dKH?

I see a 1dKH drop in 5 days. This could just mean you need to supplement an extra 0.2 dKH a day.

I don't recommend unbalanced dosing. A drop of 1dKH is about 7ppm Ca and well within the error range of Trident (+/- 15p
What is the 25ml adding to the tank in terms of dKH?

I see a 1dKH drop in 5 days. This could just mean you need to supplement an extra 0.2 dKH a day.

I don't recommend unbalanced dosing. A drop of 1dKH is about 7ppm Ca and well within the error range of Trident (+/- 15ppm).
Teach me. Two year old tank. I’m not quite understanding everything yet. I am a science major (RN) so I can understand some chemistry.

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't recommend balanced dosing.

The myth of balanced dosing is just another marketing dept creation designed to sell products and hurts this hobby. It's a flat out lie.

Unless your tank is crammed full of rapidly growing SPS you should never couple calcium and alk. Alk is consumed by things that don't consume calcium and more often than not depletes much faster than calcium.

Having no calcium consumption and lots of alk consumption is common. Turn up your alk - your tank is not broken. Some guy on youtube with a 200 gallon full of acropora is not dealing with the same chemistry you are.

Any ph changes?
PH is 7.9-8.1

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely verify the reading with another test kit. My Trident has given me way off readings when the clear mixing chamber gets dirty/stained. I make it part of my routine to pop the cover off and clean it out with a cue tip every 2 months when changing the reagents. I've done it so many times, I can do it without disconnecting any of the tubes.
Do you have any additional instructions for this? Trident has been running for 6 months. This is the first time I have experienced this issue.

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guarantee their is a calcerous or turf algae bloom in correlation to the swing in those numbers as stated below their cant be a swing like that unless your lines are gunked up and not dosing or there is something going on on a biological level or the trident is outta whack

@Gmac903 what's ur water quality like outta the tap before being made into rodi

What's ur rodi configured like

Do you have any cyano, wafer or turf

Is there new coraline forming as of the alk swing

Is major evaporation occuring?
120 Gallon DT with 30 gallon sump. RODI input is about 112 input and output is 0 tds (BRS 7 Stage) I have no algae after adding the UV for one week, (It is off now). Coraline is consuming my tank. I literally can see it growing on the rock and have to scrape it off the glass in chunks every 2-3 days (I Promise it is coralline) I haven't seen it in a 2 years and now it has taken off. . I live in North Central Texas (NO REEFERS HERE FOR HELP)! But, yes it is hot here. But my house stays 72 at max... so wouldn't expect much evap.

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• alk.jpg
    alk.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 37
  • cal.jpg
    cal.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a complete butt, I came her for help with the forum. I'm not experienced enough to debate, nor comment. I am a RN with a Pre med undergrad with a swell 8 hours of college chemistry. LOL. This seems much different and Id appreciate guidance to a fellow new reefer to help my community of inhabitants have the best growth and well-being. If anyone knows of anyone near Corsicana, TX that can help me out.. I will pay. (903)229-7532. Thank you all for all your suggestions. Dallas North Aquarium is my closest resource and its 2 hrs away through traffic.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: sorry saw it was answered

Last edited:

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 Gallon DT with 30 gallon sump. RODI input is about 112 input and output is 0 tds (BRS 7 Stage) I have no algae after adding the UV for one week, (It is off now). Coraline is consuming my tank. I literally can see it growing on the rock and have to scrape it off the glass in chunks every 2-3 days (I Promise it is coralline) I haven't seen it in a 2 years and now it has taken off. . I live in North Central Texas (NO REEFERS HERE FOR HELP)! But, yes it is hot here. But my house stays 72 at max... so wouldn't expect much evap.

Per my original comment and your original post of dropping Alk despite dosing.
1. What are you dosing? 25ml of what? How much dKH is that adding to your tank?
2. A 0.2dKH drop per day over a week may just indicate a need for additional dosing. I believe most tanks can consume 0.5 to 4.5 dKH per day.
3. I recommend balanced dosing once you have your numbers where you like them.
4. There are many products you can use for dosing. I use Kalkwasser and All-for-reef. However, I believe these products are a little more difficult to use than 2/3 part.

Let's assume you decide to use Tropic Marin Original Balling.

Let's assume you like your Ca #s but want to up you Alk and then increase dosing to keep up with your demand. Let's further assume some numbers. You want to raise your Alk by 1.5 dKH and then supplement your tank by 2 dKH to keep up with demand. Let's also assume you total volume of water is 120gal.

1. Use baking soda to raise Alk to where you want it using a reef calculator (https://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) . This will tell you that you need "20.4 grams, approx 4.3 tsp, or 0.7 oz" of baking soda and "Dissolve it in RO/DI or distilled water before dosing and do not dose all at once. This should be slowly dosed into your aquarium. Monitor pH while dosing. Do not allow immediate impact of pH to be more than +/-0.20."
2. Go to Tropic Marin Original Balling (https://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.com/en/minerals/original-balling-products/components.html). They have a calculator there that uses Ca. 7ppm Ca = 1dKH balanced dosing. So 2 dKH = 14ppm Ca which will tell you 318ml dosing of their product. You would want to split this up into 4 doses done throughout the day as you usually don't want to raise you alk by more than 0.5 dKH all at once.

Hope this helps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is steadily dropping suddenly despite dosing. No new coral additions. No other changes other than adding a UV to help combat a algae outbreak. Help me understand. Trident with Trident controlled dosing at 25 ml day alk. Calcium is not dropping despite that dosing channel being off. Mag stable and not supplemented other than water changes.

First, check to be sure the dosing system is adding the same amount as always.

Second, check to be sure the measuring method is giving accurate results (reagent not running out of the Trident, for example, which messes it up).

IF both above check out dose more. Simple.

Calcium will not noticeably drop with the alk drop you show, since it would be less than 10 ppm.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a huge surge in coralline growth. It’s nearly impossible to keep it off the glass every 2-3 days. I thought this was healthy!?
Coralline growth is healthy, but over time, it leeches calcium.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a complete butt, I came her for help with the forum. I'm not experienced enough to debate, nor comment. I am a RN with a Pre med undergrad with a swell 8 hours of college chemistry. LOL. This seems much different and Id appreciate guidance to a fellow new reefer to help my community of inhabitants have the best growth and well-being. If anyone knows of anyone near Corsicana, TX that can help me out.. I will pay. (903)229-7532. Thank you all for all your suggestions. Dallas North Aquarium is my closest resource and its 2 hrs away through traffic.
You started a second thread about the same thing with people asking questions and trying to help but you have not answered our questions.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back