Alkalinity issues

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM Pro at 10.2 average and now Actif averaging 9.6. You may be going off bucket values which are at manufacturng plant testing and not accurate with various tanks and types of water. Calcium levels will also change the alk values.
Im going off of long term use.
So that's a little confusing. If you mix a FRESH batch of TM Pro at 1.0264 ( 35ppt )based on many, many user's of this salt it will mix between 7&8 dKH which is what TM says it will mix at. I am not sure how you got 10.2 average unless you mixed at a much higher ppt. I'm curious on how you mixed the Pro when you were using it? I was thinking of changing my salt since I can only get the one I use from only one supplier here in the US unless I have it shipped from Germany, which mixes at 9dKH which is where I keep my tank. I was seriously thinking of switching to TM Pro until I saw the low dKH. How do you like the Actif so far? I dose Reef Actif half dose once a week and so far my tank seems to like it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently run TM Bioactif and rated for 8-9 and yes run a slightly higher PPY. The classic also runs high hich I did not state but the one I recommend for the higher DKH. As for mixing, I use a station:

appleton3.jpg

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s my whole thread, alkalinity and ph issues
So how about the coraline algae? Is it starting to take off, not even close, or well established?

you mention that you are "dumping" kalkwasser and sodium bicarbonate into the tank. You also mention you are mixing it in fresh water prior to "dumping in", and that you are doing it at the correct dose? Mind sharing your measurements?

since this is not having the effect of raising either alk or ph (ph temporarily...) so is there something else you are dosing or have dosed that could lower ph? if not -

it's gotta b the testing or something is using up the alk.

There are a few things that can lower PH so I would be more concerned about the alk.
This is intriguing :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried dumping in my sodium bicarbonate solution from brs but it doesn’t seem to affect my ph and dissipates within a day, 2 max
Sodium Bicarbonate on its own does not increase pH. If you want a pH increase you would use Sodium Carbonate.
I'm not sure what you mean by dissipates ... If you mean that the Alkalinity is being consumed there could be both biological and chemical process that cause that.

One of the most important parameters to 'get right' is Salinity, as most other important elements vary with it.

How are you measuring and validating your salinity measurement?

Last edited:

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is always low. Doesn’t matter if I change the water. It’s always about 6-7 dkh. Ph is also always around 7.8
I doesn’t have an auto doser yet but I’ve tried dumping doses of kalkwasser and sodium bicarbonate from brs without much luck.
I only have about 5 little zoa frags so I’m not sure what could be causing it to be so low all the time
If you’re dumping” kalk and bicarb into your tank with only zoas and no coraline, and your alk isn’t raising, then your alk tester is wrong and your alk is likely insanely high in reality. There is really no other conclusion to come to. Kalk and bicarb will instantly add alkalinity, if it doesn’t you have a bad test kit, end of story.

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about the coraline algae? Is it starting to take off, not even close, or well established?

you mention that you are "dumping" kalkwasser and sodium bicarbonate into the tank. You also mention you are mixing it in fresh water prior to "dumping in", and that you are doing it at the correct dose? Mind sharing your measurements?

since this is not having the effect of raising either alk or ph (ph temporarily...) so is there something else you are dosing or have dosed that could lower ph? if not -

it's gotta b the testing or something is using up the alk.

There are a few things that can lower PH so I would be more concerned about the alk.
This is intriguing :)
I don’t have any coralline algae. I’m just putting the sodium bicarbonate into and kalkwasser into my tank. I’m not putting anything at all into my fresh saltwater. The dose of for alkalinity depends on where it has dropped to and then use a brs calculator to the dose. I haven’t really bothered much with them though since the ph is so low and hasn’t been affected

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some comments now focusing heavily on my word “dumping”. I don’t have a doser so that’s what I have to do. Is “pouring” a better word? wait no! ADDING
Ok I add sodium bicarbonate to my tank

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some comments now focusing heavily on my word “dumping”. I don’t have a doser so that’s what I have to do. Is “pouring” a better word? wait no! ADDING
The word "dosing" isn't necessarily means with a pump ;)
But you may clarify it by saying "manually dosed" to make sure everybody understands you.

I still think it was your salt though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Words matter. lol

What is the adding method for the kalkwasser, how do you make it, and how much is added at once to what size aquarium?

It needs to be added slowly. No need for pumps. You can use cheap drippers, lots of small manual doses, etc.

But adding a large amount at once is suboptimal.

reeefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used TM Pro at 10.2 average and now Actif averaging 9.6. You may be going off bucket values which are at manufacturng plant testing and not accurate with various tanks and types of water. Calcium levels will also change the alk values.
Im going off of long term use.
I started a 15 gallon AIO in February with TMPro and recently purchased a Hanna checker to double check my Salifert alkalinity test and the Hanna checker calculated 6.8 on a fresh mixed batch of salt, using RODI water mixed to 1.026. Any ideas why it would be low? I did roll the bucket when I got it, maybe since I’ve used some salt I can roll it some more?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started a 15 gallon AIO in February with TMPro and recently purchased a Hanna checker to double check my Salifert alkalinity test and the Hanna checker calculated 6.8 on a fresh mixed batch of salt, using RODI water mixed to 1.026. Any ideas why it would be low? I did roll the bucket when I got it, maybe since I’ve used some salt I can roll it some more?
Roll it more and see if there is a difference. If not, assure your test equipment is accurate or calibrated

mavl666

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hear much about that brand of test which could be a good or bad thing. I would recommend salifert, red sea or hanna tests. For now, have your LFS test your water for you.
Agree try a different test kit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back